Hello from Adelaide Hills South Australia

Miffny

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Australia
Hi to all,

I am new to all of this but an upcoming visit from Daughter & Granddaughter prompted me toI buy two New Hampshire hens for pets & to lay if they wish :) ,well how gorgeous are these chickens !, I love them to bits I cant tell their ages all I know is their feet are white not yellow & their eyes are green not yellow one has virtually no comb *Penny* & the redder colored girl *Henny* has a little comb & started laying only 3 days after she arrived they are 'free range' in a large green-house/garden shed with a coop for 2 .

I live in the beautiful Adelaide Hills with my 2 chickens :) I have a super quick question as the girls are pets I have only had them 1 week & they are not wanting to be picked up & petted much at all how can I remedy this can i bribe them with a delicious treat?

Hi from down the hill! Ive been giving my girls mealworms (check pet store) they used to hate me. Now I go down there and they are ready jump on me. And it pretty much happened after the first time I gave them to the girls.

G'day, and welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. AussieChics suggestion of given them mealworms is a good one. The way to a chook's heart is through its stomach. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in taming your chooks.

Thank you so much for the tips meal worms it is !! looks like I'll have to bribe those spoilt girls they were so snuggly until they got let out to roam around little devils.

G'day & Welcome to BackYard Chickens. It's good to sit near them and scatter some feed around you - so they get used to being close & eventually head for your lap to see if you have more treats for them. Pretty soon they look forward to the time you are around. You could give them meal worms, a little corn or black oil sunflower seeds and they'll probably follow you anywhere.

BTW BYC has a very good aussie thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little Island." Also some threads on Emus

Last edited:
Morning and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Mealworms are a favorite treat for our girls too. Here is a good article about treats for chickens, what's good and not so good, you may find interesting:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom