Hello from advance nc

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moss farm, Aug 10, 2014.

1. moss farm

moss farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2014
    Advance North Carolina
    Hello I'm new here. Lots of good info on this site! I have 2 silver laced wydotte hens , 1 road island red hen and just saved a 5 month old white leghorn rooster from a cullin. Really didn't want a roo in my flock but he is a good lookin brute. If there is any one around my area let me know.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Greetings from Oregon! [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I hope you can either re-home your WL rooster or get some more hens. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your rooster.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely do some chatting in your state thread to see if any of your chicken neighbors may take your roo. As Michael has said, 1 roo per 10 hens is a good ratio to protect the hens and keep them happy.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. moss farm

Aug 10, 2014
    Advance North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for the welcome.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe the people had a good reason to want to cull the rooster. He may be too aggressive for hens or attack people also. There are tons of roosters looking for homes everywhere, no reason ever to have a mean one.

9. moss farm

Aug 10, 2014
    Advance North Carolina
    The people had to many Roos. He is a sweet boy. My hens are the ones who is doing all the chasing. They want even let him roost with them they make him sleep in a nest box. It's so funny watching the girls boss him around but I know that it want be long and he will be the boss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by