1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nu2chix2015, Feb 18, 2016.

1. nu2chix2015

nu2chix2015 New Egg

Nov 17, 2015
    We had 2 ameracanas hens, 2 barred rock hens and what they told us 2 buff orp hens. We only wanted hens, for egg production but its only a 90% accuracy and ended up with 1 of the buffs turning out to be a ameracana rooster. We recently lost a hen to a hawk. Another hen was injured during the hawk attack but survived. We are having an issue with the rooster, he has started to attack us if we put our hand down or out, it don't even need to be near him. They are in a coupe during the evening and night, I now have to sit out in the yard while they free range. I'm scared to make any kind of movement while I'm out there with them. I tried attaching a pic of our rooster Lou, if anyone has any advice I look forward to any suggestions

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Don't let him mount your hens in front of you. That is saying that he is dominant over you. So, push him off of the hens if he's mounting in front of you. Also, if he's really aggressive, get rid of him, or eat him. :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is never a good reason to keep a bad rooster. They say the meanest roos make the best soup. There is a glut of fine roosters looking for homes just because they aren't allowed in many areas. It is definitely a buyers market. Once you have 20 posts you can participate in the BYC buy,sell,trade forum. If you feel you must have a rooster, check that out. You can even find excellent show/breeding stock cockerels for very decent prices. BYC also has a section for free animals in need of rehoming.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with DD completely - bad roos are not worth the hassle. In his defence, his hormones are likely to be all over the place, assuming he's young and he could calm down once he grows up. Whether you are prepared to wait another 6 months to see is up to you. Personally, I'd he'd be in the crockpot - can't be bothered with the nonsense!

All the best

CT

BTW - a water pistol / pressurised plant water sprayer is a good method of scaring the living daylights out of a roo.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by