1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Alabama!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smelltheposies, Apr 1, 2016.

1. smelltheposies

smelltheposies New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Vestavia Hills, Alabama
    Hey Ya'll! My name is Kelly and my daughter is Olivia. We are new to all of this. I have always loved chickens and at one time and point had 6 peeps that we raised successfully. My daughter recently found and an abandoned, slightly cracked shell. We applied nail polish to the cracks and have been learning as much as possible about incubating and hatching. I recently posted a few photos of what has been going on inside. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. We are also well aware the survival rate for this guy may be low but we are going to try our best!. Thank you and nice to meet everyone!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with the incubation.

1 person likes this.
  3. smelltheposies

smelltheposies New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Vestavia Hills, Alabama
    Thanks!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Hi Kelly,

It's nice to have you and your daughter here. Good luck with your incubation!

1 person likes this.
  6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Kelly and welcome to BYC - great to have you and your daughter onboard with us.

All the best with the incubation!

CT

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    People generally use candle wax to close cracks. I'm assuming this is a wild bird egg from an abandoned nest. Wild birds feed their babies almost continually till they are big enough to fledge. Hand feeding is very time consuming and labor intensive.

1 person likes this.
  8. smelltheposies

smelltheposies New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Vestavia Hills, Alabama
    Thank you for the heads up I had also read about the candle wax but was worried about seeing any progress while candling. Nice to meet you =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by