Hello from Albuquerque!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Whoops, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi there!

I have been thinking about chickens for a while, and lurking here, there, and everywhere trying to learn. I did wildlife rescue for years, which usually involves birds in boxes, so I was a bit leery. Yesterday, I acquired my first chicks. I was told they were an Ameraucana, a Barred Rock (she was hiding when I took the picture for my avatar), and a Welsummer. We'll see - mostly I just hope they are hens. They are four weeks old and capable of producing astounding amounts of poop. I am very excited to have them, and despite all my research have a zillion questions. Unfortunately, my GSD mix dog is also very excited, so today I will be doing some massive coop revisions. He does fine when they are inside the house at night - just lays by the box and sleeps, but outside they suddenly are chirpy and fluttery.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and share my ridiculous excitement over the little things.

Better go work on that new coop and walk the blasted dog who is too excited by the chicks to poop.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Congrats on your new flock. Sounds like they trigger your dogs prey drive. There are lots of links on here for training help. Best of luck :)

4. Whoops

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the welcome! I am actually not too worried. I have dealt with his prey drive for 13 years with cats and many other creatures. He lives with them peaceably, and he will learn to behave with the chickens. It's just a training thing and I am working it, but it will be awhile before behaving when I am present translates to behaving always, and in the interim, I need to have close control of his interactions with them, (because it's a world harder to train a dog to stop chasing compared to teaching him to just not start.) I once opened my back door and found a big 'ole strange dog in my yard. Apparently, someone thought, since I do dog rescue, I wouldn't mind another. So, having a very secure coop will be a good backup. On the plus side, with three dogs, the roaming cats and other small predators aren't much of an issue :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Whoops, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Looks like Sumi has you lined out so I'll just say good luck and best wishes!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hope your dog settles down soon, 'poopus interruptus ' can't be a good thing.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    thinking of my 1st flock too - here in Abq. hope to see your set up sometime.

10. Whoops

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi there and welcome! My little flock of three seems to be thriving. They look like little chickens, now, instead of chicks or odd colored pigeons. I definitely recommend them - less mess and more fun than I imagined. Now I want more. And a rooster. But, alas, I live in the city, so no roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by