Hello ~ from Altadena, California!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kristinaluna, Jan 21, 2014.

1. kristinaluna

kristinaluna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Altadena, California
    Hello, I'm brand new to BYC and my family is in the planning/prep stages for our first coop of pet hens, for eggs! We are mom (me), dad and 14 month baby girl - all of us very excited to start caring for and living with some beautiful ladies :)

I have found someone to build us a good coop, as we are not at all handy in that way, and hope to have it built and in the back yard mid-February. I am now calling around local hatcheries in hopes of finding 4 Easter Egger pullets for the end of February/early March. I have heard that EE's are pretty docile and good layers, so they seem like a great match for us.

It is really important to me that our daughter is raised with some value of animal care and self-sustainability from a young age, which, in Los Angeles you just have to work a little bit harder to have/find. Fortunately, our area is unincorporated, so we don't have the same restrictions on chickens as the rest of L.A. does. We can even have goats here, but I fear my husband may draw the line there (how about a dwarf??). We already have a vegetable bed and I'm looking forward to the hens taking care of my caterpillar problem (argh!). It's good protein for them, right?

Anyway, we have had very spring like weather all winter here so I'm hoping that someone will have EE pullets for sale around that time. Next I need to begin researching feeding/watering and care in general so if anyone has any advice/tips I would really welcome them! In the meantime, I'll be poking all around this site for more information.

Best, Kristina

ps: We have decided to name our 4 pullets after our Grandmothers :) so they will be Julia, Beth, Nellie and Matilde

1 person likes this.
  2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. kristinaluna

kristinaluna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Altadena, California
    Thank you so much, great advice!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Hi Kristina and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with your future flock!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by