Hello from Arkansas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cherryvandine, Aug 13, 2014.

1. cherryvandine

cherryvandine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    Hi everyone! I've referenced BYC for many questions but just recently joined to be able to share in the conversations. I have a backyard flock of 17. I have a Black Copper Marans hen that loves to set and she's got 8 chicks right now. I have 8 other young hens (21 weeks) that include Silver Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rock, and one Blue Ameracauna. I was raised with poultry and many other critters but just started the backyard adventures a year ago. So much fun and my daughter just loves her babies.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a happy and beautiful flock!:)

Enjoy them and glad you joined!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like your Marans is a great mama - congratulations on the babies. How breed is your rooster?

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My father graduated from the university of Arkansas in Fayetteville, and I was born in Hot Springs. I still have relatives in Hot Springs and love it there. Like your daughter, my granddaughter loves our chickens (That's her pic in my avatar). Raising chickens is a great experience for children. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock, and your daughter. :eek:)

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you are really enjoying your flock!

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. cherryvandine

cherryvandine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! I love Arkansas - born and raised here and it's just so beautiful to me. I have no rooster - we aren't allowed to keep them in town. Meanwhile, my neighbor has 5 (yes, 5) dogs that bark 22 out of 24 hours a day. Actually I have several little rooster babies right now but we won't mention those. ;)

The first time my Marans set, I got eggs from a local Ameracauna breeder for her. That's how I ended up with the one blue Ameracuana pullet. The second time, I ordered eggs from Taylor Hobby Farms in GA and she hatched 13/14! High rooster ratio from the hatch but really fun to have so many kinds from the same set. She is a really good momma hen - fascinating to watch all the things she teaches them.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by