Hello from Arkansas!

cherryvandine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Fayetteville, AR
Hi everyone! I've referenced BYC for many questions but just recently joined to be able to share in the conversations. I have a backyard flock of 17. I have a Black Copper Marans hen that loves to set and she's got 8 chicks right now. I have 8 other young hens (21 weeks) that include Silver Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rock, and one Blue Ameracauna. I was raised with poultry and many other critters but just started the backyard adventures a year ago. So much fun and my daughter just loves her babies.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a happy and beautiful flock!:)

Enjoy them and glad you joined!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My father graduated from the university of Arkansas in Fayetteville, and I was born in Hot Springs. I still have relatives in Hot Springs and love it there. Like your daughter, my granddaughter loves our chickens (That's her pic in my avatar). Raising chickens is a great experience for children. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock, and your daughter. :eek:)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you are really enjoying your flock!

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I love Arkansas - born and raised here and it's just so beautiful to me. I have no rooster - we aren't allowed to keep them in town. Meanwhile, my neighbor has 5 (yes, 5) dogs that bark 22 out of 24 hours a day. Actually I have several little rooster babies right now but we won't mention those. ;)

The first time my Marans set, I got eggs from a local Ameracauna breeder for her. That's how I ended up with the one blue Ameracuana pullet. The second time, I ordered eggs from Taylor Hobby Farms in GA and she hatched 13/14! High rooster ratio from the hatch but really fun to have so many kinds from the same set. She is a really good momma hen - fascinating to watch all the things she teaches them.

Back
Top Bottom