Hello from Assumption, Illinois!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommahallof, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mommahallof

mommahallof New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Hi there! My name is Jennifer and I am a SAHM to 4 children ages 2 to 16 and 20 chickens that we have had for 2 years.

Silly us! We didn't check with the city before getting our chickens, since our town is completely surrounded by corn and bean fields and farms, we really did not think it would be an issue. Ha! Now that we have had our amazing feather babies for 2 years we got a letter from our city giving us 3 days to eliminate them. [​IMG]
    On the 5th of this month, my husband and I went before the city council to ask them to at least open a discussion about it before insisting we get rid of them. I really seemed like everything would be okay! I'm not holding my breath until its all in black and white but we are supposed to go before the ordinance council tomorrow to "help them rewrite the ordinance in a way that will work for us". (Yay!!!!) We will see......I just hate to get rid of my sweet babies [​IMG]. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens!

Btw.....We raise RIRs, Leghorns, Golden Comets, Barred Rocks, a super sweet barred Rock bantam, and my fave- our Americana Abigail. Most of our chickens are actually just starting to lay since we had to replace some older girls who passed on.

Our purpose in raising backyard chickens is to be more self sufficient and eat more naturally. We absolutely adore our chickens. Thanks for offering this Giant resource for chicken lovers!

2. NCGrammie

NCGrammie What's Cluckin'?!

Mar 14, 2012
    Pinnacle, NC
    :welcome Welcome Jennifer, it's so nice to meet you! I'm from NC myself and this year started raising chickens and well...:jumpy chicken math took over and the addiction began! :lau I hope you enjoy it as much as I do here...I have met many wonderful friends and learned SOOOO much from many of the pros. Jump right on in, you will feel right at home in no time! :caf

P.S. I am so sorry you are going through this with your chickens. I will Definately keep you in my prayers that things turn around and you can keep them all! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys [​IMG] Hope you win and don't have to rehome your chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    good luck and keep us posted :)

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! I hope you get to keep your chickens!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Really hope y'all get to keep them - Fingers crossed for you :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by