hello from atlanta!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sparrowchic, Nov 21, 2011.

1. sparrowchic

sparrowchic Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    douglasville, ga
    after many years of thinking about getting chickens, this year i am going to do it! my husband will begin building my tractor soon and i plan to get 4 or 5 hens, as pets and for an whatever eggs they want to give us. i was thinking that the first of march would be a good time to receive my chicks. what advice do you have, on the timing? can i/should i get them any sooner?

the breeds i am tossing around are; standard cochin, bantam cochin, ee, silkie, polish, mille fleur, serama, gold laced wyandotte and salmon faverolles. i would be getting one of each. are there any that i shouldn't put together?

thank, so much!

michelle

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Just like people, chickens are individuals and have their own "quirks". Keep an eye on them and watch for issues, but they may just all get along.

[​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Ohio!

6. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the high desert of California! You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who are always ready to help!

The timing sounds good to me... I got my girls in March also. Do a little reading through the breed descriptions, that may help with your decision. Some of my neighbors have had to keep their standard size chickens separate from their silkies as they are smaller and were getting bullied. But there are plenty of folks who have no problems at all. Just keep an eye on them. I am sure that whatever choice you make, you'll end up very happy and will end up wanting more!!

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you're leaning towards some really nice breeds. My favorites on your list are our EEs and Polish. I love the personality of Polish, and the EEs lay gorgeous eggs. Good luck [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by