Hello from Aus

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hodor, Nov 9, 2015.

1. hodor

hodor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Australia
    Hello there,

Thought I'd say hi here. I am very new to this keeping chickens thing, I am surprisingly excited by the idea.

So far I haven't had much success with the eggs I got, unfortunately the analogue thermometer I got online was reading incorrectly and I incubated my eggs at around 41 for the first few days. I might have one survivor (of 12) at day seven from what I can tell. I have resolved to try again and have just inquired about some more eggs.

My coop is almost finished, it has been mainly built with things I picked up for free. I've never really built anything so it has been an interesting experiment, I'll put up some photos when its done.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, heaps of info here it seems.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. There is an Aussie thread if you need assistance from locals: " Australia, six states and one funny little island."

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I'll look forward to seeing your photos. :eek:)

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you have had trouble with your incubation :hugs My first attempt was a total bust due to the thermostat being totally wrong. I cooked the eggs and nothing hatched. But after some tweaking and some more research things got better amd hatch rates improved. I'm sure they will for you too.

Wishing you the very best of luck In the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your coop. Good luck with future hatches!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. hodor

hodor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Australia
    [​IMG]

So I've been too busy to complete my coop. It's been like this for awhile. Just needs roof, walls and nesting boxes. Hopefully I can finish soon as I have 18 eggs in the incubator (not all for me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by