1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Australia fellow Chooky people!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chook Newby, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Chook Newby

Chook Newby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Wagga Wagga
    I have just become the proud owner of 4, 4 month old, beautiful Light Sussex hens, Rowena, Harriett, Polly and Sybil. They are making me laugh every day! My question for today is; Rowena has white legs and beak and the other 3 have yellow legs and beak. Would anyone know why this is?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your new hens :clap What lovely names they have too! You might like to ask on one of the Sussex threads about their leg/beak colour. Here is a popular one ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/536408/light-sussex-thread

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new girls in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome - if you do as Yorkshire coop suggested, Im sure you will get some response.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Sometimes genectics determine leg and beak color. However, a pale color could mean anemia.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Chook Newby

Mar 1, 2016
    Wagga Wagga
    Hello everyone and thanks for the warm welcome! Yes I am completely new to Chooky keeping so I will search the forums for all the answers I have to all my questions... and Im sure there will be lots [​IMG] (and Im just loving these little text characters too!)

My chooks seem very happy so far and I have two of them eating out of my hand already, surprising to me becuase I didnt raise them from babies.

I look forward to chatting a reading! Cheers, talk to you all soon [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'Day, so glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. You can also plug into the Aussie thread at "Australia, six states and one funny little island." BYC has a large Aussie community - always room for more.

8. Chook Newby

Mar 1, 2016
    Wagga Wagga
    Hi 'drumstick diva', and thanks for the warm welcome!

I have already found the "Australia, six states and one funny little island." thread, didnt take me long [​IMG]. Im looking forward to spending what little spare time I have chatting to people who know about chickens... loving it already, maybe a little too much LOL!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by