1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sonatropea, Oct 17, 2014.

1. sonatropea

sonatropea New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Melbourne Australia
    New to chicken keeping, excited and willing to learn. Bought my chicken coop but found out 3 days later that it was not fox proof. I was very upset of loosing my 2 chickens so early!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and welcome to Backyard chickens. Please check out the predator and coop sections for advise on safeguarding your flock. Sorry for your losses. Predators are always looking for weak spots, very persistent once they get an easy meal. They will be back until there is nothing left, . Are you allowed to shoot or trap them in Australia?

We have a large community of Aussies on here, and a great thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little island." They may be able to give you specific information to protect your flock - since they have probably dealt with the same issues.

I'm sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm so sorry for the loss of your chooks to the fox. Definitely check out the protecting your flock from predators link that sumi left you with. After 50 years of raising chickens and losing some to predators, I've learned to build my coops/runs like Fort Knox and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope you are able to get some more chooks soon. Cheers.

5. sonatropea

sonatropea New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Melbourne Australia
    Great thanks for the fantastic advise! Yes purchased some lights and we built a very strong coop, so fingers crossed.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

So glad you joined us…good luck with the predator issue.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chickens![​IMG]

Good luck in predator-proofing your coop.

8. 149east

149east Out Of The Brooder

foxes are evil! we lost 3 roosters about 10 months ago, even though we were actually having difficulties with them, it was awful finding one of the roosters dead in the paddock (the other two just feathers). Many of us have 'been there, done that'. so sorry good luck with the new coop

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses to the fox :hugs Good luck with your new flock!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your losses![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by