Hello from BC Canada!

chikki

Hatching
Nov 18, 2015
Summerland BC
So thrilled to be part of this group. Ive just started raising chickens and the girls came home Sept 28. ...only thing is of my 15 girls 2 started to cockadoodledoo lol ..i love them all but do need to think about if to keep the roos or not. Will probably start to ask a lot of questions here so a big thank you in advance for all suggestions!!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard, so my advice is to remove at least one of the roosters. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

I agree with Michael, hens are so much happier without being harassed and battered by roosters. They will lay just as many eggs without a roo, albeit non fertile ones. You may want to post at "Canadians - check in here." thread and see if you have any BYCERS as neighbors. Welcome to BYC.

A big hello from Kenya!Glad you decided to join the community - lots of friendly and very helpful members, so don't be shy and ask away!

CT

welcome-byc.gif

Feel free to ask questions, there's a ton of information here and a lot of helpful members.

Thanks for joining us!

Hey thanks a bunch for the warm hellos! I'm thinking to keep one roo but cant decide. My birds are a mixed group of 'fancies' including OBuffs, Auricana's (spelling?) RI Reds etc and too many crosses to list. The colours vary as well as feather styles; ie - poofy heads, poofy necks and feathered feet. (Please forgive me but I'm learning the breeds).
I do have a question I hope to get feedback for, One of my roos is tall in stature, mostly red but is growing white tail feathers, the other roo is a lower standing stature, quite round, solid blue in body with a very red head/neck and dark purpleish face with a blobish like comb. Also his tail is still similar to a hen. SO! (lol) any ideas as to the breeds or crosses and if one is favoured to keep AND in case I decide to rear chicks, would one possibly contribute to blue/green/olive colour type egg producers??

Back
Top Bottom