Hello from Becky and Ted (Michigan)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeckyandTed, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BeckyandTed

BeckyandTed New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    Hello! I am looking to get some chickens in the spring, mostly for eggs, but also because I think chickens are beautiful! Ted has 30 acres, and he'll be building a coop over the Christmas break from work. I'm thinking of having about six hens and a rooster. Does anyone have any advice or comments on having a couple different breeds? My thoughts were to get maybe four ISA Browns and maybe two Delawares. My father raised a few chickens (bantams) when I was a child, so I'm not unfamiliar with their care, and I have a few friends locally that have chickens too.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BeckyandTed, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our coop!! Breeds to choose??? There are as many opinions as they are choices. You might research the Breeds forum to learn some traits and characteristics of various breeds. I'd advise, being in Texas, you get breeds that handle the heat. Heat is harder on chickens than cold. Personally I like my mixed flock - I have 19 different birds of 11 different varieties. I like the different looks, personalities, and different colored eggs! Whatever you decide - best of luck!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Many of us here have different breeds, all living together happily.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hello, and WELCOME from another Michigander! What are of Michigan are you from? I'm near Flint.

If you have friends with chickens already, they will probably be a super source of information for you.

I suggest thinking about what it is that you're looking to gain by getting them. If you are only wanting fresh eggs, a production breed like an Isa Brown is tough to beat. In fact, they are the only breed I've had that consistently lays through our Michigan winters. I find them lovely, and their have a laid back disposition as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. BeckyandTed

BeckyandTed New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    I am currently in DeWitt until the end of May, and Ted is in Durand. He operates a small farm (raspberries, pumpkins, trees), so the chickens will be the first "livestock" on his farm. We mainly want them for eggs, but I do want them to be friendly hens too. Our friend Jeff has 6 ISA browns, new this year to him, and when I went to visit them and see the coop, they were very friendly, curious hens. I'm pretty sure I'm sold on the browns, but I do want a little variety.

10. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by