Hello from Belleville, IL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rt66Kix, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Never had chickens, but I have horses, cats, dogs and parrots. This weekend we bought a playhouse from Craigslist that I plan to make into a coop. It will be mounted on a dolly so I can move it around our yard (approx. 1 acre), and I will use PoultryPlus electric fence netting from Premier 1 products. Thought to use a swimming pool leaf net to prevent the bald eagle that lives across the road from having "snacks." We also have at least one pair of red-tailed hawks that roost in our trees, along with coyotes, coons and possums galore!

Need to get everything set up, and then I'll have fun hen shopping! I prefer to get young hens versus chicks. Heritage breeds are of interest to me, and I'm looking for layers. Of course pretty colors and fun plumage are a plus - LOL! Suggestions are welcome.

Looking forward to reading a learning about this new venture...

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you've got your fair share of predators lurking around your area. If you'd like, take a look at the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center You will find loads of great articles that discuss nearly every aspect of chicken keeping - including predators. Also, if you'd like to chat with local chicken folks, find the IL thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes to you and your future flock and thank you for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, and welcome to the flock! Glad you decided to join us, please make yourself at home here and enjoy BYC! :frow

~Cuz

6. Thank you! Good to find a thread with local people!

7. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    I love your avatar!! [​IMG]

8. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    :welcome

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Rt66Kix [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by