Hello from Belton Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bob Swagger, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Bob Swagger

Bob Swagger New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Belton, Tx
    Hey guys my name is Matt! Recently my dad had the idea of having chickens in our backyard and now I'm here! We had an old kids fort/swing set we built years ago and turn it into a coop( ill be uploading pics later) and around late September when we get back from a family trip! We are looking at getting Buff Orpington's from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron, Tx. 2 hens and 1 rooster to start off with! Anyways this site has really help grow my knowledge if chickens and how to care for them! If you have any good tips let me know!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Matt, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! My best advice for the beginner is to take a tour of the Learning Center - see the link below. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

Buffed orps are great! I used to have a couple. This time I ordered Blue Orps just because I thought it would be fun to have a blue flock for a change. I ordered 6 chickens of 3 breeds and they are all blue. My Orps were really funny when they went broody and resembled basket balls.

Enjoy your chickens
    Caroline

4. Bob Swagger

Bob Swagger New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Belton, Tx
    Thanks redsoxs! And before I became a member I spent hours looking through the learning section trying to get as much knowledge as I could before I built the coop! It was really helpful!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] do you plan to hatch eggs, or sell fertile ones? Otherwise you don't need a rooster. Only two hens means he'll be overbreeding them . One rooster can handle 10 hens.

6. Bob Swagger

Bob Swagger New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Belton, Tx
    Rooster is still a debatable one so we aren't sure if we are or not. We have some foxes where we live and I read that they will protect against predators. Is that true?

7. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    Greetings from Magnolia, TX. Roosters might prevent the hens from being eaten by becoming the foxes meal ahead of them.Best to build a better coop and fencing. Raccoons will be a bigger issue I believe. Join us on the Texas thread - lost of folks in your area.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. Bob Swagger

Bob Swagger New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Belton, Tx
    Thanks top! And my coop is predator secure its just when we would free range them during the day is when we would want a rooster to protect them.

10. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello Matt (and Bob too). Welcome to the site. I am just a neighbor from Round Rock, Pfliugerville area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by