Hello from Birmingham, AL!

celliott24

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Birmingham, AL
I have turned into a chicken nerd overnight. This is so cool! My first flock is here and I just picked up my 6 new chicks - 2 Starlight Green Eggers, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Rhode Island Blues.

It’s been fun to see my 3 dogs interact with the chicks - and has gone surprisingly well considering two of them are bird dogs. :p And the wiener dog is terrified of them. We’re working on training right from the start!

Chicks are happy in their brooder and I’ve almost finished building the backyard coop!

I’m so happy to join what seems like such a helpful and friendly community. Thank you all in advance for answering my novice chicken questions!

Welcome to backyard Chickens. This is a great place to explore and hang out. Most dogs are not to be trusted to chickens for many months or not at all.
Oh there is certainly no trusting going on! Chicks are in a closed off room, and I’m introducing everyone slowly - letting dogs sniff the chicks while they’re in my hands with a swift “NO” when they get overly excited! Hoping that if the dogs are present and around the chicks as they grow up, they’ll be fine being around each other in the backyard when everyone is of age!

Back
Top Bottom