1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Boise, Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tbakko, Aug 10, 2013.

1. tbakko

tbakko Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    Hello everyone, I am in the process of building a small coop. I have never had chickens before & we are thinking of getting 5 or 6 just for eggs. The coop I am building is 4' by 6' by 5' tall and sits on 24" legs. We are also going to have a 7' by 15' covered run. Any recommendations on the breed(s) that are best for newbies. We also want them to be pets & let them free range around the yard. I will be reading all your posts with interest & look forward to learning from you all.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are so many breeds to choose from, each with their own set of characteristics and good and not-so-great points. Then there is factors such as your climate (does it get really cold/hot where you live), how many eggs do you expect them to lay, would you like them to go broody or not, do you want pets, lawn ornaments, or egg factories? Have a look around the Breeds section, read the reviews etc and see what you like:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Enjoy your chickens!

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck to you on your decision. Your coop and run sound like a nice size

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] if you go to "where am I, where are you," forum you can find and post on your state thread. That way you get first hand advice about what type of chickens do well in your climate, what type of coop etc. will get you thru the 4 seasons and where to buy things locally.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by