Hello from British Columbia (and Questions)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Grenedle, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Grenedle

Grenedle New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello. I learned about backyard chickens a few months ago and I was really interested in them. I'm still trying to see if they would be the right kind of pets for me, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible in the meantime so that I am ready when we do get chickens.

Can I ask questions here? From looking at the forums, and thinking about my questions, my questions can fit in a few different categories.

---

Moving my questions up so it's easier to see them. Also adding some more.

1) My backyard isn't that big (I think 32X32 feet). Would this be enough for chickens to wander around in? I can move them to the front yard for some time. I plan to have a permanent coop and run and have a separate easily moveable fence that I can put up to let them "free range".

2) Speaking of the coop and run, I was planning to have an 8X8 run and a 4X4 coop. But from what I've read on this forum, a 10X10 run would be better. Is 8X8 enough? The coop will be raised up so that the chickens can walk around under it.

3) I have neighbors on both sides and my dad doesn't want to bother them with chickens so he wants to put the coop at the back of the backyard. The problem is, there is a van parked near there. We don't really use that van normally, but that could change for various reasons. My question here is, would the van scare the chickens? Cars driving through the back alley and lawn mowers might scare them too. Especially if I have to mow the lawn around them. Also, the exhaust from the van may cause respiratory problems for them.

4) What kind of chickens would make good first chickens. A friend I know has access to Rhode Island Red pullets for $8 (how much are chickens/pullets normally?) but I've read that they can be loud (which is definitely a bad thing with neighbors) and pecky. I've heard good things about Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Australorps and Easter Eggers. I wanted to have one of each but, from what I've read about introducing chickens to a flock, I don't think it would be a good idea to get chickens from different providers. So if I can't get all of them together from the same provider, which would be better to get first?

5) This one isn't really about chickens, but more about composting. With all the poop that's going to build up, I wanted to put it to use instead of just throwing it away. So, is it possible to compost citrus fruits/skins? Or would the acidity kill any of the beneficial composting bacteria? Also, would root vegetables start to grow in the compost if left there? And I have heard that weeds will start to grow as well if they aren't dried out.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined. People ask questions here all the time and there are quite a few very knowledgeable guys and gals that will have your answers. Good luck

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    WELCOME! the more questions the merrier! and if we cant answer them, we can sure point you in the direction of someone who can!

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

7. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

[​IMG] Welcome from Kansas! Love your avatar!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Grenedle

Grenedle New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Ok, I never wrote down my questions so I forgot some of them. Here are the ones I remembered in no particular order.

1) My backyard isn't that big (I think 32X32 feet). Would this be enough for chickens to wander around in? I can move them to the front yard for some time. I plan to have a permanent coop and run and have a separate easily moveable fence that I can put up to let them "free range".

2) Speaking of the coop and run, I was planning to have an 8X8 run and a 4X4 coop. But from what I've read on this forum, a 10X10 run would be better. Is 8X8 enough? The coop will be raised up so that the chickens can walk around under it.

3) I have neighbors on both sides and my dad doesn't want to bother them with chickens so he wants to put the coop at the back of the backyard. The problem is, there is a van parked near there. We don't really use that van normally, but that could change for various reasons. My question here is, would the van scare the chickens? Cars driving through the back alley and lawn mowers might scare them too. Especially if I have to mow the lawn around them. Also, the exhaust from the van may cause respiratory problems for them.

4) What kind of chickens would make good first chickens. A friend I know has access to Rhode Island Red pullets for $8 (how much are chickens/pullets normally?) but I've heard that they can be loud (which is definitely a bad thing with neighbors) and pecky. I've heard good things about Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Australorps and Easter Eggers. I wanted to have one of each but, from what I've read about introducing chickens to a flock, I don't think it would be a good idea to get chickens from different providers. So if I can't get all of them together from the same provider, which would be better to get first?

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by