Hello from Broken Arrow, OK

johnnyb61820

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
I am planning on purchasing my first hens today! I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and have three boys who will also love it. I am planning on enclosing the underside of my kids' mini-playground for the coop when they are ready.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Hello BA!! I too live in Broken Arrow and am trying to understand the ordinance and what we are allowed to do and not do. Are we indeed allowed to have chicken in city limits of Broken Arrow? I would love to have a little urban farm and trying to figure out if we are allowed to have chickens in BA? Any info you could provide, I would appreciate! :)

The information on this website was a little out-of-date. When I looked it up in the Broken Arrow code, here is what I understood the ordinance to say - (1) you can only have 4 chickens, (2) the coop has to be at least 40 feet from your neighbor's houses, and (3) the coop has to be 150 feet from any grocery store or similar establishment. If you are interested, I would also be interested in joining up to make the ordinances a little more lax as well. I don't see the need for the 40 foot restriction unless there is a similar restriction for dogs. I would imagine any fenced in area should be sufficient, and I don't see why we couldn't work to make the ordinances reflect that.

Back
Top Bottom