Hello from Brookfield, Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Doodlemom, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Doodlemom

Doodlemom Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Brookfield, Ohio
    I'm new to chickens but not to the idea of having them. I finally convinced my husband to move back to my home town after living in Green Bay,WI for 24 years since my parents are getting older and it's not fair to make my brother to have to take care of them when there is two of us(I'm the big sister). So June of 2015 we packed up our 7 dogs and everything after my youngest graduated and moved 600 miles to the East and country living on a 28 acre farm that I can still wave to my parents and my brother's family everyday.

Last April I decided I was going to get some chicks after going to a local farm store here. I looked over the types of chicks they had, came home and started researching the different breeds. I settled on the fluffy yellow Buff Orpingtons and so it began. I wanted a breed that if I decided to keep a roosters that they would be friendly and not the Freddy Kreuger type I remember as a child that my Aunt had (he was pure evil and finally end up in a pot). I did a lot of research on sexing by feathers so I could hopefully pick out hens and I must say I impressed myself by picking 5 girls out of 6. Mr. Rooster found another home and the girls are still with us and they are so sweet. Due to how sweet and puppy dog like they are I started with the notion that I wanted to get types of Orpingtons and as I type this there are 3 (2 Jubillees, 1 Lemon Buff) eggs getting ready to hatch today. At 10:52 p.m. the first Jubilee chick pipped it's shell. I'm so excited! This is my first hatch and I plan on hatching many more. JUST IN......the husband has just told me that the hole in the egg has gotten bigger! So I started out with 11 and 8 were not fertile but the wonderful lady where I bought them told me she will replace any unfertilized eggs, so I get to do it all over again.

More about me, I use to raise foundation Appaloosa horses, I am vice president of a German Shepherd dog rescue, have two grown children, married to my wonderful husband who puts up with me and all my pets and ideas no matter how crazy they might seem to him, country girl, enjoy gardening, hunting, fishing, camping and value my family and friends. I always wanted a farm and now I have the opportunity to do everything I love. We have 4 shepherds, 1 yellow lab and 1 miniature dachshund. We also have a small saltwater tank for now (have to figure out where to set my180 gallon tank up).

I want to say thank you for your site as I referred to it a lot and am grateful for the information that it holds.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi @Doodlemom and [​IMG] from KY! Glad you joined the BYC community.

Glad to hear that your hatch is progressing well...if you have questions or run into unexpected hatching issues, though, there is a wealth of helpful information here, like the "Step by Step Guide to Assisted Hatching": https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching (I keep this one handy!).

Best wishes to you and all those animals! [​IMG]

3. Doodlemom

Doodlemom Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Brookfield, Ohio
    Thank you And at 10:02 this morning "Touchdown" made his appearance. Yes that is it's name. Not sure if it is a he but will refer to him that way. Lol

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! :clap

5. Doodlemom

Doodlemom Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Brookfield, Ohio
    [​IMG]

Here's Touchdown taking a break.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Doodlemom, and welcome to BYC! It sounds like you lead a very interesting life with all the things you have done and continue to do! Best of luck with your Orps, future hatching, and Touchdown! And thanks for joining BYC!

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Your little chick picture is so cute, congratulations!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

9. Doodlemom

Doodlemom Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Brookfield, Ohio
    Thank you everyone for the welcome. Still waiting on the second chick to arrive.

10. cluckable

cluckable Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    Rozet, WY
    Welcome from Wyoming!

Great to see your successful hatch! I intend on hatching a few later this year......Golden Campines and Silver Campines.

God luck and keep up the pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by