Hello From Bulloch County, Ga!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nibarlan, Jan 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM.

1. Nibarlan

Nibarlan In the Brooder

Jan 9, 2019
    Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Very new, not getting any until the spring

How many chickens do you have right now?
    None but I'm planning on getting layers and meat birds

What breeds do you have? I'm planning on two Easter eggers, but I'm still trying to figure out what others would be the best for me situation. I had initially thought about Buff Orpingtons, but they seem so large.

What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I'm not sure yet

What are some of your other hobbies? I love cooking and gardening. I also brew beer on occasion,.

Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My wife(who is very supportive of getting chickens because she knows it's something I've wanted my whole life.....also she gets a new fence so there's that too) and I have couple cats, a little finch and a parakeet. I also raise cherry shrimp.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I've wanted chickens ever since I was little and never thought I'd be able to until a few months ago I got youtube video recommend that was about urban chicken keeping and it set me on a path of research.

2. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Welcome! :frow

3. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Chirping

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Hi, welcome to BYC!

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate
    Best wishes and make yourself at home here at BYC!

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Crossing the Road

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I used to brew wine! That's fun.
    There are so many breeds of chickens to choose from it can be difficult to decide!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck in establishing and maintaining your flock.

7. KLIL

KLIL Free Ranging

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
  8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! Good luck with your future flock!

9. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Free Ranging

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    BYC-rainbow-hen-sm.png
    So are you looking for dual purpose breeds? They're my favorite... good for laying eggs and also heavy enough to be a decent meat bird, but not excellent in either category. Though if you get separate layers AND broilers, they usually also have to be housed separately because their needs are so different.

Orps are really not that much bigger than Easter Eggers, both are dual purpose and really nice breeds. Why not go with a mixed flock? Get one of each kind you're interested in, then later on you can determine your favorite and get more of those when you decide to add to your flock. I would also suggest starting with at least 3. I've heard too many stories of people losing one either by sickness, predators or turning out to be a cockerel... and the remaining bird is so lonely, and adding a single bird to more birds is more tricky than it seems.

flappyChicken.gif Best wishes in your new chicken adventure!

10. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Roo Dad with chicks.gif

Greetings Nibarlan, Welcome to BYC! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: