1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from CA Central Coast

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kholdner, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kholdner

kholdner New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    Hi everyone! So happy to be a part of BYC and the wonderful world of chickens. We've only been in the game for a couple months but having chickens in my backyard has been a longtime wish. We got a coop, which I realize now is really just a tractor, a couple months ago off of Craigslist and it came with Fluffy, a year and half old Brahma. We also got 2 pullets from a nearby family farm (Coco, a Sussex and Ginger, an Americauna). Fluffy just started laying for us (yay!!!!) and our other 2 should be starting within the next month or so.

My hubby and I have 3 kids (2 boys age 3 & 5 and an 8 month old little girl). I'm lucky to stay home with the kids for now but before our kids were born I was a kindergarten teacher. Every year in my classroom we would incubate and hatch chicks and it was always the highlight of my year. I guess that and the fact that my grandparents had a farm with chickens, which I loved, is what started me on my chicken journey...I always wanted to keep and raise some of those baby chicks!

So, I quickly realized that our tractor really is only suited for 2 chickens and I really wanted a more permanent coop so we've spent the last couple weekends scouting out free pallets and have built a great new little coop that should hold 4-5 hens (I'll post some pics when it's done).

This whole chicken thing has been so amazing for our family (including my husband who thought I was a little crazy at first). We love watching "the girls" and collecting eggs. We have a lot to learn but the process is so much fun. Thanks everyone for sharing all of your ideas and info!

Cheers!
    Kari

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kari, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! Sounds like you are well on your way with chickens and are a great chicken parent! Love how you are involving the whole family! Best of luck and have fun!!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and the world of poultry keeping. Keep your children interested. They may become our future enthusiasts.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. Welcome from CA i also live on the central coast [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by