Hello from Ca

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pacelli27, Mar 26, 2017.

1. pacelli27

pacelli27 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    I have been a new chicken owner for two days and my dog of 7 years just killed one. I am so upset, poor chicken. Now what?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - though I am sorry it is under these circumstances. Unfortunately, dogs (even those beloved family pets that have never shown any interest in anything) are predators and chickens are prey -- the best thing to do to prevent further losses is to keep the dog and chickens separate and/or always keep the dog on leash and under direct control when they are around each other. The leash allows you to start and then affirm training work with the dog to learn to leave the birds alone - if that is something you want to work towards, but given the incident that has already happened *I* would never leave this dog and the chickens unattended together again, even with training (which I would still do).

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, parcelli, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! I responded on the other forum regarding dogs attacking chickens. Hope you can take steps to deter future attacks. Good luck and thanks for joining BYC! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The best thing to do with dogs and cats, is to make sure they are NEVER around the chickens. Either the pets stay in secure kennels or runs OR the chickens do not leave their leave their strongly fenced run. You never hear of a chicken killing a dog or cat so best to err on the side of caution.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pacelli27 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by