Hello from California!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dancechick915, Sep 24, 2015.

1. dancechick915

dancechick915 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2015
    Southern California
    Hi chicken friends! I am super new to the whole chicken thing and am starting off slow. I've been reading up on many threads here at BYC and finally decided to join and introduce myself!
    My name is Melanie and I live in Southern California. I got two girls on Sunday. The landlord said yes to chickens, so I went and picked them up the next day! I got them from a place where they use chickens for eggs and meat, you pick a chicken and they slaughter it there... But I got two live ones for a few bucks each. They have drawbacks because of this- their beaks are clipped, they don't have any human interaction (but are more and more trusting, curious, and sweet each day), I have no idea how old they are... But the guy did say they would start laying in about a month or so. I got them layer pellets but I'm worried they might be too young for them? I'm going to find the right forums here in a second to see if anyone can guess their age and breed (my best guess is around 18-20 weeks and either New Hampshire chickens or production reds).
    Anyways, here's a picture of Henrietta (darker tail feathers and on the right) and Penny (more copper colored)!
    [​IMG]

-Melanie

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They've got the look of New Hampshires, though I haven't got a clue what those would be doing at a meat facility, unless they were going for dog food. Production Reds of any kind would hardly produce a profitable carcass, and certainly not anything resembling the Cornish Cross most people would expect to see on their dinner table.

I agree that they look point of lay; they are certainly at the correct age for a laying feed.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the exact price for each? "A few bucks" is rather vague, but it draws up the image of $5 or $10 a hen, which would be nothing short of a steal - lately the market is hovering at $20-$30 for a point of lay or young laying hen.

3. dancechick915

Sep 24, 2015
    Southern California
    $12 each. They must've been their egg laying hens then... I figured they had dual purpose but I never saw where the chickens actually were. They just brought them out to me.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

New Hampshires are historically a dual-purpose breed with an emphasis on egg laying, but the skinny Production types hardly make a decent meal, so I would say yes, it's likely they were from their layer flock. Between that and the crazy low price, it makes me wonder if perhaps they are older culls sold as point of lay pullets. Keep an eye out for eggs - if they begin to lay small eggs, laid intermittently for the first month or so, it would mark the start of their production life, whereas if they immediately begin to produce large eggs on a regular basis, they have already been producing for at least a couple months (and if that is the case, likely a couple years).

If they are genuine point of lay hens, then $12 a bird really is a good deal. If you don't mind, I'd love it if you could PM me the name of the place you purchased them - I'm a good drive from SoCal, but I have extended family down there and so visit on occasion. At that price, it'd be plenty worth it to pick up a few pullets on the way home.

5. dancechick915

Sep 24, 2015
    Southern California
    @QueenMisha they are still a few weeks out from laying. They have small pink combs, small vents, and have some more room to grow so hopefully when they do start laying everything will be good! That was the risk I took getting these ladies. I will send you the info.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I would check them over well for mites,lice, and to determine if they need worming. Hope they work out well for you.

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by