Hello from California

Bufforpchick

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
Hi all! I'm happy to join BYC. I have 11 buff Orpington chickens that are 20 weeks old. I am enjoying learning everything I can and look forward to asking questions on the forum. This is my first experience with chickens, and I am loving it!

My first question...I had to reintroduce a chicken that was injured. How long does it take to re-establish the pecking order. Although she isn't being pecked, I do feel sorry that she is chased off by the the two top hens.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

It can take a couple of weeks for the pecking order to be established again. Give them some time, and they should get along better.

Good luck with your flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sometimes you need to do a re introduction to the flock when a bird has been removed. You can keep her in a cage for the week so they can get re acquainted with her. You should also put out more feed and water stations. Don't let them starve her out. So add more placed to eat and drink. In the future if you have a bird that needs to be separated from the flock for what ever reason, try to keep them in a cage within the flock at all times. This way they never forget her and going back into the flock is easy. However sometimes a bird may need to be kept somewhere else if they are very sick or wounded.

Good luck and I hope they start to be nicer to her soon!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

X2 on Two Crows and Wyandottes7's advice. Good luck with your re-introduced hen!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your "welcomes" as well as the advice. I wish I had allowed the chicken to recover in a pen next to the chicken yard, as that would have been possible. Such a good idea. "Lucky" seems to be faring a little better today. I did put out extra food and water today as suggested by Two Crows. So far so good. Thanks again to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom