Hello from Camino, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Saxphon, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Saxphon

Saxphon New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Well, I just wanted to say hello from our little neck of the woods. Camino, California, is located 10 miles east of Placerville and 45 miles east of Sacramento. Often referred to as 'Apple Hill', many people simply pass through on their way to Lake Tahoe.
    Our place is known as Green Acres Ranch, and no, it was not named after the 60's TV show. My father named it that after he bought the ranch in 1946. Someday, I might share the picture to prove it. I have one that I bring with me to the Farmer's Markets and place in our booth for people to see. We sell eggs and produce at the market. This past year, we had much success is selling our eggs. So much so that we might not sell any more produce.
    We currently have 140 laying hens - about 70 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 2 dozen each of Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons and Ameraucanas. I have 50 new 'little ones' in the outside brooder that will start laying about mid April (Buff Orpingtons), and we are hoping to add another 50 Black Australorp pullets during the month of February. There is about 30 or so of our Wyandottes that will be older than 2 years this spring, so we are not only trying to add to our flock, but to replace some of our older hens. Oh, and we are at 3100 ft elevation, so I do look for breeds that are cold hardy and winter layers. Anyone have other suggestions?
    Yes, we do have a few roosters. 3 Wyandottes, 2 Ameraucans ('Spot' and 'Scout'), and then there is 'Rocky'. He is the youngest of the group and the biggest, pretty boy in the pen. He is Buff Orpington and he is at least 2 months younger than anyone, but is at least 6" taller than all the other birds. My wife wants to enter him in the county fair this year.
    We also have 7 geese (African), 2 Turkeys (Bronze and White), 2 Guineas and 37 ducks (various breeds). We also sell duck eggs at the market, and normally sell out during the time we are there.
    I had been around chickens when I was much younger, but went many years before starting our flock in the summer of 2010. I built a chick pen (run) of 60' x 60', enclosed sides and top with wire. Our chick coop is 8' x 20' with 30 galvanized nest boxes that are reachable from the back. There is light in coop and hanging heaters, which I have not had to use much this year. Our coop is above the ground on a slight slope, and built to where you can access the inside, but not made for walking inside. Hardware cloth bottom allows for 'most' of the dropping to fall through onto a cement slab, where I then scoop it and take it to the garden compost pile. Our Ducks and Geese have an area within the pen for themselves, with access to a small landscape pond for water play.
    Well, that is a little bit about us. I hope I can mingle with some of you here and learn a little more about our flock. Oh, if anyone here has Blue or Lavender Orpingtons, and either sells chicks or knows where to get them, please let me know. My wife wants Lavenders in the worst way.
    Have a wonderful egg day!
    Sincerely,
    Ray

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    [​IMG]. Hope you enjoy being here as much as I do!

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us!!

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi there Ray! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by