Hello from Canberra

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kakakhel, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Kakakhel

Kakakhel New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    Hi All,

Greetings from Canberra. I'm super new to raising chickens. Although I had nourished the thought of one day being the proud owner of a small flock but never made strides to achieve just that.

Well, I would skip the small stories along the way (for now) and announce that I now have 1 roo and 2 hens. I have 'some' idea of the breeds but will show a few pictures to confirm with all you experts out here.

I'm also currently in the process of building a coop for them (yes, I'm into it now big time :) ) They're living in my tool shed and free range in the backyard for now.

Looking forward to learning a great deal and sharing my experiences here with you.

Kakakhel

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! If you haven't already, check out the articles under the Learning Center tab, there are some very helpful write-ups there. Glad to have you!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

If you're building a coop, check out the Coops page for some good ideas and helpful suggestions: Coop Designs

Good luck with your flock!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on achieving your dream and getting some chickens. I would suggest getting some more hens to go along with that rooster as the recommended ratio of hens to roosters is 10 hens for every 1 rooster. Too many roosters (or too few hens in your case) will become very hard physically on your hens as they mature; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason that you need a rooster at all is if you want fertilized eggs for hatching and one rooster can easily handle 10 hens in that regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I'll look forward to seeing your pics. Cheers.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome from SA. Good luck with your coop building. I agree with Michael about the rooster, they'll all be happier with a few more girls around. :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. Kakakhel

Kakakhel New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    Thanks all for the encouragement.

Michael, those were great points and I will definitely be getting more hens. The coop that I'm building will be sufficient for 6 to 8 chickens, so that's what I'm planning on. I will be sharing the pics soon.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So nice to meet you - welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by