1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Castle Rock, Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bcjlemaire, Mar 16, 2017.

1. bcjlemaire

bcjlemaire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Castle Rock, CO
    We are new parents to baby chicks. This is our very first time doing this and are very excited! We wanted to raise chickens for the fresh eggs. We have 10 chicks now and have had them for a couple weeks. I have a concern. A couple of the chicks may look like they are trying to poop, but nothing is happening. Their vents are cleared. Their rearends are heaving back and forth.. looking like trying to poop. Is there anything i should be doing about that?
    Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new chicks! Sounds like they may be dehydrated or maybe just need some good bacteria in their guts. Do you have any probiotics, even human grade will work. Empty one capsule into a quart waterer, fill with water. Change this every day and make a new batch. Even Apple Cider Vinegar will help with keeping the gut in good shape. About 3/4 to 1 teaspoon per quart waterer. Same as with Probioitics, change and make a new batch daily. Use plastic containers only.

Also, you might post this in our Emergency section or our Raising Chicks section if this is something that isn't cleared up with using the suggestions I gave you here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Also, make sure you aren't over heating them. Start out day olds at 90 degrees. I have found that any warmer and they are uncomfortable. Lower the temp by 5 degrees each week. Keep the heat off to one side and not in the middle. Chicks need cool spots in the brooder to cool off. Their bodies do not have a working thermostat yet and need warm and cool places to regulate their body temps. Keep the thermometer directly beneath the heat lamp on the floor. Also, do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire. Never cover it over as they need good heat and oxygen exchange.

Good luck with your babies!!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and also, :) make sure they have enough room. 1/2 square foot per baby. At two weeks, they may need 1 square foot per baby. At 2 weeks they should be down to about 80 degrees in the brooder. :)

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi and welcome! Are they getting enough water? Sometimes if they don't have enough they can get a bit dehydrated and that slows down the digestive process leading to constipation. What are you feeding them - are they free feeding or rationed? Try chopping up a few dandelion leaves very small and give them to the chicks - it may help. If you feed greens or treats, please give them some chick grit to help digestion too. Keep us posted, [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bcjlemaire [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links from TwoCrows, I will just wish you and your little ones all the best.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. bcjlemaire

Mar 16, 2017
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thank you all for your advice. It is much appreciated! They have plenty of water which is changed everyday. We do add probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes. Their food is store bought chick food and we have the grit also. They seem pretty healthy. Other than the heaving behinds. I will try giving them some greens. I hope chopped up broccoli is ok? I will post some pics next time. And i'l check the websites that some of you posted. This was my husbands idea. He's always wanted chickens. So, we're doing it! More to come! Again, I appreciate all the replies.
    Goodnight!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Best of luck with your little ones!

9. bcjlemaire

Mar 16, 2017
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks!

10. bcjlemaire

Mar 16, 2017
    Castle Rock, CO
    [​IMG]. One of our chicks! I think this is Sunny! She comes right up to your hand. Still trying to tell them apart. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by