hello from central Alabama..

dalovesroosters

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
I am so excited to be here and look forward to reading about everyone's chickens and experiences, hoping to learn more about these awesome additions to our family.A little about me, I have been married to Don since 1984, and we have 3 great sons, who are grown now and I am so thankful for all of our 39 chickens and roosters (of all different ages, and not sure of many of them breed) started 6 years ago with 5 buffs orphingtons, then ordered comets,then got a few from a neighbor,then a cousinwho is big in chickens also, gave us a few eggs for one of my hens to hatch, mixed them up and now have mixed up breeds, but they all are beautiful and I do wanna start raising more pure breeds. I am interested in those with the feathers on their legs, bantams right? Also what we call game chickens, but not sure if these breeds will give out the eggs like the comets and buffs have been doing over the years. I have only 2 buffs left and they no longer seem interested in anything, so may try hatching a few of their eggs, they do have their own rooster, Mr. B. he is the man around here, i have another one from the comet eggs ,his name is Mr. Early, he is white with brown,reddish streaks, and another rooster, Mr. Brick, because his coloring is that of red bricks,lol. and 2 to 5 more young roosters about to start crowing, grrr, what to do with all of them? I cant stand the thought of putting them in the freezer, but I do have to do something, cause I cant stand to see them fight and gain up on my ladies. So I do have a question, my nephew has gotten into raising chickens and his wife just ask me a question about a few of their hens, she said they cant walk anymore and their legs are turning blue, I have no idea what it could be, they are bantams. I was hoping someone may be able to help me answer her. So Thank You in advance and God Bless all of ya. I look forward to hanging out and learning from ya!
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm not entirely sure what could be wrong with your nephew's chickens. If you post the question in the emergencies/diseases/injuries & cures section of the BYC forums, though, people there should be able to help.

Good luck with your chickens! And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We're all here to help in any way we can.
smile.png

So I do have a question, my nephew has gotten into raising chickens and his wife just ask me a question about a few of their hens, she said they cant walk anymore and their legs are turning blue, I have no idea what it could be, they are bantams. I was hoping someone may be able to help me answer her. So Thank You in advance and God Bless all of ya. I look forward to hanging out and learning from ya!
yippiechickie.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us. Don't know an answer to the sick chicken question, and hate to delay responses 'cause it is not as visible in new member intros. Suggest you post just the question under the Emergencies…forum. Don't know if you can copy and paste between, but sounds like they need some help ASAP.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your nephews birds!
hugs.gif

Is it cold there? They might have frostbite. Otherwise it sounds like a disease. You should defiantly post in the link provided by Wyandottes7^.

As for your roosters you can check out our rehoming area. It's so hard to let them go! But you should only keep one rooster for every 10 hens you own.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You will need to rehome some of those roosters. Not only will they fight but they will over mate the hens causing harm or even killing them. 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens is the correct ratio.

As for the birds with the blue legs, you should post this in our emergency section. I am not sure what would cause that.

Good luck and I hope you can get all this sorted out soon!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely post on our Emergency section. Any other hens you get will not match the lay rate of your Comets and Buffs. Comets and Buffs are two of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links and they are egg laying machines. The only other chickens which can match these Red Sex Links lay rate are Black Sex Links (brown egg layers like the RSLs) or White Leghorns (white egg layers). Whatever breed you get (sex links are actually hybrids, not true breeds), get them because you are interested in other qualities they have rather than high lay rates or you will be disappointed. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your nephew's bantams will be okay. Good luck.

oh thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the advice, will go there..and the roosters do have to go, today they are just starting to try and crow so my days are limited. I so worry about posting on sites like facebook and trade/buy/sell here sites, with many roosters being used for negative activities, I could not stand the thought of letting my young guys go somewhere where they would be used for fighting, and being treated bad, I have wondered if we could place them in their own spots around the yard, fatten them up and add them to the freezer, what do ya think? My husband did start raising chickens for a food source, just not sure where to start. Wow, I do have tons to learn. Oh yes, it is hot here now, but the cold is getting so close, brrr. Have a Blessed day everyone, going to emerg. now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom