Hello from Central California

OrangeChicken

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
San Joaquin Valley, CA
So I guess now that I officially have chickens in my backyard it's time for an official introduction. First off I'd like to thank everyone for the all of the great information on the site, it's been invaluable as we've been setting up for the chicks.

My wife and I and our 3 kids (2 boys ages 12 and 3 and 1 girl who is 1 1/2) live in rural Fresno county in the middle of 20 acres of oranges. After my wife developed an expensive farmers market egg addiction (which has developed into a much more expensive chicken addiction) we decided to take advantage of living in the country and get some chickens. We originally wanted to get 15 hens, but in the end we decided to go all in and fill out a full order of 25 chicks by getting 10 meat birds. With the addition of our "free rare chick" (so, it was free and not so rare, but hey 1 out of 2 isn't too bad) and an extra cornish-x thrown in we received 27 chicks 3 weeks ago, which included:
2 Delaware
2 Cuckoo Marans
2 Rosecomb Brown Leghorns
2 Blue Andalusians (1 is blue colored and 1 is a splash colored chick who I'm pretty sure is a cockerel because it's comb is different)
2 Black Giants
2 Australorps
3 Easter Eggers
1 still unidentified "free rare chick" (all white with willow colored legs and a straight comb)
11 Cornish-X (down to 10 now that 1 died of unknown causes at 2 weeks old)

Hopefully we'll have meat in a few weeks and eggs in a few months. Thanks again for all the great info.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from NV

Back
Top Bottom