Hello from central/east coast Florida

Twelve Palms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Hello, I've pasted the outline you provided to help me introduce ourselves. I'll add some comments at the end.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Very new to chickens, got our first 5 chickens three months ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have a total of 25

(3) What breeds do you have? This is a tricky question for us newbies. We got our first 5 chickens at the local feed store and the nice man working there picked them out for us--we knew absolutely nothing about what we were getting. Turns out we got 3 bantams (2 roosters and one hen), 1 standard hen (not sure what she is (New Hampshire???), 1 standard hen (maybe Barred Rock????). After we gave these a test run, we knew we were going to be "chicken people". Then we got 25 chicks from the feed store. Again, the nice man helped us pick them out, but this time he told us what some of the were. Out of that 20 we have 2 buffs, 6 Rhode Island Reds, 6 Americaunas, a bantam frizzle (we think), 3 bantam cochins, 5 silkie bantams (white, black, gray, and buff), a gold seabright, and a silver duckwing.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? through a link from another website

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I love to cooking and carpentry (Judith). Richard love anything outdoors on the property--cutting the grass, playing with the goats, drinking a Coors Light sitting by the pond.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Richard and I (Judith) have 4 grown sons all on their own and doing well, thank God. We love all the animals and have 4 dogs (2 Papillions and 2 Maltese), 2 cats, lots of fish in our tanks (African Cichlids), a rescue turtle which we hope to release tin our pond his spring, 6 Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and a partridge in a pear tree.....
big_smile.png
Richard is a maintenance manager for a condo association on the beach (Cocoa Beach, Florida) and I am retired from a career working for a school district where I was communications director.

About a year ago, Richard and I decided that we wanted to make a life change and move from the golf course lifestyle to the country life. We started looking for property and found a home on 3 1/2 acres about 12 miles away. We closed on the property the end of August last year and moved in the end of September. We have spent the past 5 months repairing fences and cleaning up the property. AND taking care of the new animals! We love the country/farm life and are looking forward to planting our garden in a couple of weeks. OH, I even have a clothes line! Judith

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Alaska

I have had a clothes line for many years (before my children left). It always is relaxing to fold the clothes in the sunshine and they smell so much fresher!
love.gif

caf.gif

Glad you joined us.
wee.gif

look forward to hearing more from you.

ya.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. You can always post pics of your birds, we love to play guess the breed. You never know what guesses your going to get.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Hello and thanks for the welcome to you all. I did post two photos of bantams???? What are they???

Hi there Judith and Richard!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida, to another Floridian!! Its great to have you here with us! Thats so wonderful that you found a nice piece of property! Consider yourselves lucky!
thumbsup.gif
Enjoy your animals!!

Back
Top Bottom