Hello from Central Florida :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tmasker, Jul 25, 2011.

1. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hello!
    We've only been raising chickens for eggs since April 22, 2011. I recently posted “Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures>>sick polish—mold??” when my Polly feel ill. This has been a really informative forum and I am happy to report Polly is on the way back to gaining her strength. I spend hours reading all the posts to get the most information in an effort to making my chickens healthy and happy.
    I recently posted our story on "Raising Baby Chicks>> Holy Heck, what happened????????” but I am not sure if I can repeat the information here as an introduction. Please let me know if that is appropriate.
    Meanwhile, we have a lucky 13 chickens at this time, but started out with a selected 6 in April. We just acquired two Silkie Hens on Saturday! [​IMG]
    I am looking at ways to naturally worm my chickens since I let them free roam when I am outside and watch for hawks. Their favorite pastime is to scratch in the leaves under our camper or around the compost pile. I understand Florida is famous for many things including worms for our animals. Although, I have my dog checked for worms every six months, I have not found a vet who will deal with chickens even when Polly was so sick! I am still watching the posts for more information. The breeder where we purchased the Silkies gave her chickens pumpkin seeds and cayenne pepper to worm her chicken.
    Thank you again for your warm welcome. I am working on posting some pictures and also interested in the photo contest, but can’t find any information on it.

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Hello! & [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC! I heard apple cider vinegar and food grade DE works as a preventive in worming. I use both, but this is my first flock and I don't know how well it works with experience.

4. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    THanks Nicole01. I have read up on Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and started adding it when my Polish Polly Chicken got sick. The chickens love it! [​IMG] I have never heard of food quality DE. Where do you get it? I am afraid the pepper will make my eggs taste funny?[​IMG]

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Welcome! From muggy central FL!! Oh WAIT- you know how that is [​IMG]
    I've had a tricky time with tapes myself- so I can attest to the difficulty of worms in FL.

9. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    I heard apple cider vinegar and food grade DE works as a preventive in worming. I use both, but this is my first flock and I don't know how well it works with experience.

[​IMG] Exactly what I was going to suggest! You can get food grade DE from most feed stores but I do think regular DE is fine for use with chickens and much cheaper. Your local feed store should have the information you need.
    Good Luck!

Oh yeah, [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ontario, Canada! [​IMG]

10. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    hello [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by