Hello from Central Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Becky R, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Becky R

Becky R New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    Hello to all! I am new to raising chickens. I have 3 Silkies and 2 Sultans. I could really use some advice. My oldest Silkie Hen is 1. She has been sitting for about 2 months. She is not sitting on an egg. She comes down to get a bite to eat and drink a couple of times a day. I also take her out of her house when I get home from work. I recently picked up two other Silkie chicks. They are 10 weeks old now. Yesterday, I went to pick one of them up and when I put it down I noticed a slight limp. I did not grab it hard, nor did I drop it. I was concerned and read online that maybe it sprained something while frolicking around with its friend. So at night, I put it to bed and this morning I made sure to place it down. When I arrived home from work today I notice that she is hardly walking at all. I researched online and I think I can rule out brumblefoot. I do not notice anything on either of its feet. As far as I can tell, it is eating and drinking as normal. It's poo seems a little soft. I am confused as to whether I should seperate it from the other 10 week old chick, or if I should continue to leave her in the pen. I could really appreciate any help that may be available.
    Thank you in advance.

2. sukr4chkns

sukr4chkns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Becky,

Sorry I don't have any input or advice for you, but want to say welcome! I just joined recently myself and am interested in reading the responses for your question. I hope you are able to get some answers and that your bird feels better soon.

Be well.

sukr4chkns

3. Megaears

Megaears Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Hello!! I'm new too but I wanted to give my advice that it might be a good idea to seperate her fro the other chickens until you can rule out other illnesses. There is alo a thread on I here I believe about illness/diseases/cures...maybe chk there? Good luck and I hope she gets better soon!

4. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. She could have just bruised her foot. Can she jump down from heights? :confused:

6. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    Hi Becky and welcome!

I wish I could help you with your question but I bet if you post this in the "Raising BackYard Chickens" category under "Emergencie/Injuries/Cures" someone is bound to know what to do for you. There are a ton of good people on here that are willing to reach out and help. They just might not notice this question since it is in the opening welcome page. Just retype it in that category and you should get some help. I am new to this site and I am always asking questions. Many people are eager to help other feathered friends :D
    Good luck with your chicken, I hope it is nothing serious. Oh, and where did you get your chicks from? Im in Brevard and couldnt find anyone with silkies? Take care and best wishes!

Allison

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    Welcome to nyc! We have a Florida thread for nyc members...just click the word HERE in my sight and it will take you there ;:) I am in polk county :)

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Lameness is unlikely to be a contageous disease, so separation is unlikely to be nescessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by