Hello from central Iowa (land of the never ending winter)

goody

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Pleasantville, Iowa
So last summer I was proposed with the idea of getting chickens by my wife, and kids, Elizabeth (7) and William (4) and Grace (3). This proposal turned into urging, and finally into "we are doing this." So, last fall I started on the coop, knowing spring was going to bring chicks. We already had a 12x16 run from a previous owner and since we live out in the country having chickens is no issue. The frame of the coop was done last fall, but that was it. At the end of February a trip to Theisen's (local farm store) led to us bringing home 10 chicks. We soon realized that 5 of them were broilers and then added 7 more heavy breed pullets. The coop got done last weekend and now we are just waiting for the never ending winter to end so I can move these chicks to their coop. I THINK we have 2 Buff Orps, 4 reds (of some sort), 5 Barred rocks, and 5 cornish crosses that will be ready for butcher in about 5 more weeks or so. I am excited for fresh eggs, but growing up on a farm and having a farming family I know what we are in for and I think it will be a rude awakening for the rest of the family, but it is a good responsibility for the kids and there are a lot of lessons you learn raising animals in farm style that they can't get other ways. Been there, done that. Anyway, my long introduction from central Iowa from a LONG time lurker and first time poster.

Greetings from Kansas, goody, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I know what you mean about the never ending winter. You are probably getting the snow right now that we got in Kansas last night! But after last summer, I'll take the cold.
You are right about the many lessons raising chickens can teach children. Good luck to you and enjoy your poultry experience!!

wehave about 2" right now, still snowing...supposed to get around 4" or so. we are about 20degrees below normal with no end in sight. I am ready to get these chicks out of the brooder in my living room! lol

and I was wrong, the more I look the more I am sure I have 2 red sexlinks, not two buff orpingtons. I still am not sure what the other 4 brown ones are....guess I will find out when they get bigger! LOL!

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for a long time, using all of the coop designs to build my own, using the resources to know what to buy for feed, eventually for grit and calcium, etc. This is a great site!

Back
Top Bottom