1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from central Missouri...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dinkyjean, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Dinkyjean

Dinkyjean New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Pushing 42 years and have spent all my life on a farm with a wide variety of livestock including chickens. Currently I have a pure breed flock of Delaware hens...sold half a dozen with the roo this afternoon to my mentor (breed & show Flemish Giant rabbits). But I have about 30 young birds about 12 weeks old ready to head to the growing pen...all pullets and a couple of roos will go to the laying house when they hit 5 months old and the rest of the roos will go to freezer camp.

I love my ladies, they are wonderful layers and even though I am not big on eating eggs, I love to bake and cook with them...what I don't use, I sell to make back a little feed money or give away to those who have kids and need the extra grub (also where a lot of the freezer camp birds go).

Sold my place of 23 years and bought this one May 2012...still in the slow process of building and remodeling and setting everything up. When I am finished, I plan to once again have 4 separate houses & runs...2 big breeds and 2 bantam breeds...not counting for the ones I hatch and raise. I also have turkeys & ducks...among other things. White chickens were not my favorite choice, but I kept coming back to this breed as I narrowed down the choices for where I live and what I wanted out of them...so white birds it is, and I must say they have been absolutely awesome!! I would be hard pressed now NOT to have Delaware hens!!

Anywho....I am divorced 11 years now with 2 grown children (daughter 24, son 23). Own my place. Disabled due to seizures and migraines, and am in college full time to get my RN-BSN license. I prefer to keep my stock as organic as possible, but am not beyond getting medication if it is needed to help with a problem. I have an awesome vet for my babies (by babies, I mean ALL of my animals & birds) and a backup vet for "just in case". I am very open minded and welcome suggestions. I do not knock other peoples methods or ways and have learned a LOT from folks by paying attention!! So, feel free to poke my shoulder and say "Hey, you need to....." or "I think you should...." I appreciate all advice and help I can get. I have been doing this since forever, but I also know that there is no possible way for me to know everything....I love to learn something new every day!! :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Hope all your plans for the future come to fruition

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had Delawares in the past and they are a good breed; hardy, docile, and good layers of large brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a preference regarding the second standard-sized breed?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

So glad you joined us.

Sounds like you have quite a busy life between chickens, school, and your remodeling...

Hope you have some "you time".

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You must be busy! Kudos for providing meals for kids who need food. I always say charity starts at home. Welcome to our flock!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with all your poultry projects and we do welcome you to our flock!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. Dinkyjean

Dinkyjean New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Standard or bantam, doesn't matter, I just want to be sure I have birds that can handle the extreme weather changes of any Missouri summer or winter. I also want birds that lay any color egg except white. I guess the size doesn't matter a whole lot, I like dual purpose so any extra birds I hatch get big enough that they can feed a few folks.

And I like to stay with heritage breeds listed with the Livestock Conservancy.....or rare breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by