1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello From Central Missouri!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickychook, Feb 6, 2015.

1. chickychook

chickychook New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Missouri
    HelloBYC! My name is Meg and I currently reside in central Missouri. I'm a wife and a mother of four beautiful kids. Last year we were graced with the opportunity to start raising our backyard chickens. We have a gorgeous barred rock rooster named Charlie, an Orpington named Jaclyn and a Rhode Island red we named Farrah (we also had another barred rock named Cheryl but we had a raccoon problem.) We're hoping to get a few more hens this spring. Charlie needs more angels!

IIt's very nice to be here. I look forward to interacting with you all.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to head for the predator section to see the best ways to repel raccoons. They are one of nastiest assassins. If they can reach through fencing, will they eat off any part they can snag. If they don't kill their prey they will greatly maim them. Are you allowed to trap and shoot them?

3. chickychook

chickychook New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Missouri
    Thank you for your reply!

We 'had' a coon problem haha. :D

4. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
  5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Meg. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens, and names our hens after Disney princesses. Getting some more hens to go with that rooster is a good idea (so that he won't over-breed them). With children around, I would suggest getting breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets), such as Australorps, Orpingtons (which you already have), Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, or Faverolles. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Michael. Silkies, cochins, orpingtons and australorps are your best bet when it comes to docile, kid loving chicken breeds. Buff orpingtons are my favorite. They are affectionate, docile, great layers and cuddly.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the "flock."

I'm sorry to hear about your loss to a raccoon. I've been fortunate that I haven't lost birds to predators so far, and I hope I never do! Good luck with finding more hens for Charlie. [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by