Hello from Cereal City/Battle Creek Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmer Dilly, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Farmer Dilly

Farmer Dilly New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Battle Creek, MI
    Hello please call me Dilly! My name is Sandy Schafer and my husband, Randy, and I live in Battle Creek, MI. We were trying to attain information as to the possibility of raising chickens for eggs when I found this forum. WOW what great info....Thanks!

We are both self employed, work out of our home. Randy deals with resale on the internet, he has been doing that for over 12 years. I am a glass artist and jewelry designer peddling my beauties on the interent also. We have 3 grown, married children and one adorable grandson. Our current love child is our 2 year old Great Dane Kylee who provides all the loving we can take.

At the beginning of the year we made some changes to our life that led me to checking out raising chickens. We listend to an PBS special on weight loss, I had already lost 60 lbs and was at a plateau, hubby was heavier than he had ever been. So we went organic, threw out everything that didn't fit the program and started down a merry path. Six months later, hubby has lost 50+++ lbs, I have dropped an additional 20 lbs and we are feeling great, heathier than we have ever been. Along this path we have picked up additional new habits. Who knew at 60 I would become a health addict, organic food freak, recycler, etc. We really don't force feed anyone about this we just enjoy feeling wonderful each day!

Here are some of the things that led up to us checking into raising chickens, and helped change the way we do things. You know the old one thing leads to another saying. That is pretty much how we got here!!

1. We grew sprouts that we add into salads, sandwiches, stir frys, etc.

2. We juice everyday, we tried several kinds and figured out it was a waste of time with the cleaning being more than the juicing until we purchased and auger style juicer. YUM it is so worth it. That led to all these peels and rhinds.

3. We built compost tumblers that will take most of our garbage, but not the amount of fruit goodies we go through.

4. Now it's time for the outside garden, and we have built rainbarrels for that so we have over 110 gallons of water setting there. If it would just stop raining all the time we would use them!

5. We wanted to have fresh tomatos for this winter, so we checked into finding a way to do that. That's how we found Aquaponics. The enclosed eco system where you have fish and plants. The Fish provide the pooh that fertilizes the plants, then the plants clean the water and provide the good stuff for the fish. We currently have built 2 1/2 systems and are growing Tilapia that will start to be harvested late this fall (Thats were I get the Farmer Dilly from! LOL) Plus inside we have lettuce, basil, banana peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, mint, and swiss chard. To be honest some doing better than others, but we are still learning and I can see tomatoes growing this winter!

6. Since we couldn't find a place for all the fruit garbage, we now have 2,000 red wigglers, YES worms that we do vermicomposting with. They eat 1 lb of garbage a day and are making wonderful compost to add to the gardens. The flow through composter is in my basement and NO there isn't any smell with it, and Yes the worms stay where they belong!

7. So since hubby can hear the neighbors chickens and we aren't liking some of the stuff that is being done to our food, of course the next step was to raising our own chickens and providing healthy good eggs for our table and our childrens!

So now you can see where we came from, where we are going and God only knows what we will come up with next. I figure its a good way to keep our kids on their toes trying to be one step ahead of us!! Besides, our grandson just loves frozen juiced bananas, fresh strawberries, beans and helps feed the fish! He loves to come to Papas and Grammies house!

So I am off to figure out more info for our chicks, what kind of coop, etc. Thanks for providing so much good info!

Dilly

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Nice intro! Howdy!

3. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Farmer Dilly

Farmer Dilly New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Battle Creek, MI
    Wekiva Bird & The Old Chick.......Thanks for the Warm Welcomes!

So Much information and so little time! [​IMG]

Dilly

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hey Dilly! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you join us! [​IMG] What a great reduction!! [​IMG] I commend you!!! [​IMG] Let me tell you, you will surely love having chickens. Just remember though, they are very addictive. [​IMG] Enjoy!!!! [​IMG]

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG] from the West Branch area!

7. Nikkidee

Nikkidee New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Dilly,
    I am also from the City of Flakes, Please, Please, Please. If you live inside the city limits make sure that anyone who lives close to you are ok with your backyard flock. Michigan did away with the Right to Farm act 2 weeks after I bought mine. Lucky for me my neighbors are good with my chickens and code compliance said that they will not look for them but if there is a complant I will be fined and will have to rehome my girls. Roosters are a big NONO so please check with anyone who lives close by and can see your yard. Otherwise good luck and enjoy.
    Nikki

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wow! Great intro!

Glad to meet you and glad you joined![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I though you were going to tell us your name was Kellogg--[​IMG] Please to meet you. I enjoyed reading your introduction. More power to you for changing your life around and losing the weight. Wish I had your motivation. I sure need to lose pounds also.

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by