Hello from Chateau Sheridan in Northern Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by embemboo, Feb 1, 2014.

1. embemboo

embemboo New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Hello all!

My husband Pieter and I have been coming to BYC for almost a year now and realized we should be part of the community!

A little bit about us and our coop:
    We started building our coop in June 2013 and got our four girls soon after. We purchased sight unseen and really didn't know much about chickens, other than what we've learned from surrounding neighbors with coops. We ended up with (after online research) Junie - a Barred Rock, Summer - a Black Sexlink, Lady Kluck - a Red Sexlink and Youie - our mystery girl. Youie came to us looking as though she had gotten curious with a blender. She was missing chunks of feathers on her neck, was very skittish and wanted nothing to do with the other chickens. Due to her 'mangled' look, we lovingly named her "Look..it's you in the morning..." otherwise: Youie. To this day, she's our favorite unicorn of a bird. She soon grew back her feathers, grew to be the biggest bird in our coop and seemed to grow these....side burns! We were truly confused, but impressed at her transformation. The mystery of her pedigree was finally solved when during a garage sale, when a curious patron exclaimed "ohhh you have an Americauna!" After research, we were smitten with the realization that she would lay beautiful green or blue eggs.

Our fresh, new coop: (lovingly named "Chateau Sheridan")
    [​IMG]
    Our first day with the girls:
    [​IMG]
    That's (left the right) Junie, Summer, Lady Kluck in the back and Youie perched on the right.

We have loved our girls every minute of owning them - we love finding out their quirks, their attitudes and their favorite snacks. (watermelon and sweet peppers). They're incredibly beautiful and quite hysterical in the summer. We keep our girls buttoned up in the hard, Michigan winters, but when there's no snow, we let the girls roam. We have a somewhat large, fenced in back yard that the girls LOVE to scratch at and run around during spring, summer and fall.

This is my husband and our fur baby Aries - Aries doesn't get along with the girls so we keep the safely separated. :)
    [​IMG]

And finally, me! with Youie :)
    [​IMG]

We are looking forward to learning more, meeting more members and hopefully having a community of people to help answer our new egg questions.

- Emily, Pieter, Aries, Junie, Youie, Lady Kluck & Summer

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice flock you have and good doable coop [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my flock [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few of the lady's [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

What a nice intro! And you have a wonderful flock! Very cute. Love the coop too.

Good luck with all your chicken adventures and enjoy those colored eggs! [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member