1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Chicagoland!! (NW suburbs)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fireant992006, Mar 23, 2017.

1. fireant992006

fireant992006 New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    Hi all,
    I am new here. I am thinking of getting chickens. We do have a coup from our previous owners, so just need chickens. What would be the best breeds for beginners? Some assumptions - cold weather, a few kids - so need to be human friendly and lay a moderate amount of eggs. :)
    Also, how about a rooster? How dangerous those are? Even if you got them as a baby, will they still be aggressive to owners?
    Thanks all!!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I found hybrid hens an excellent starter bird, reasonably friendly and good egg layers. I'm afraid we don't get super cold over here in the UK but we do have our moments and the hybrids have coped well. A dry well ventilated coop and they should be fine in cold weather.
    Chickens in general cope much better with the cold given the right living conditions against the heat.
    I'm afraid even raising the boys from chicks can't always guarantee them to be friendly but I've never had a problem with an aggressive boy from hatching them or to bringing an adult into the flock.

Our learning Center has a great section on getting started ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

This is also great for keeping a roo ~
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/keeping-a-rooster

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, fireant, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! You are wise to do your research up front - it will prepare you for when the big day comes!! A great place to the learn the ropes of poultry care is the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It is packed with article after article covering a wide range of chicken-related topics.
    And if you want to chat with some local poultry peeps, find your state thread in this link and say howdy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you don't need fertile eggs for hatching or sale. There really is no need to have a rooster. Your hens will lay just as many eggs without (albeit infertile) and will be much happier without one.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Make yourself at home here, it's nice you've joined us!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under fireant992006 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by