Hello From Chickie Farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickie farm, Mar 9, 2014.

1. chickie farm

chickie farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    Good Morning,

I am a newbie to both BYC and chicken farming. I bought 25 chicks at a local Rural king. I had done a ton of reading to see what chickens were best for laying and so many people had so many different varieties of their favorites I decided to get several different varieties to see which ones suited me best. I am in love with all of them so far. They are about a week old. I lost on chick the first day. I should have paid closer attention to the ones the clerk was putting in the boxes because it was obvious she was not well.
    The list of chicks I have are:
    4 australorps
    4 buff orpington
    4 barred rock
    4 rhode island red
    4 wyandotte
    3 ameracunas
    2 black sex link

Im loving every minute of it and spend hours watching them. We made a brooder box and it is in our garage. Their coop is an out building that we are converting that already has power, heat , doors and windows. It needs some repairs which we are doing now.

I am concerned now because one of my chicks has diarrhea and I cant figure out which one. What does this mean? What should I do?

I am so excited to be in your community and look forward to talking with you all. I will post some of my cute chick photos soon.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Make sure when you are brooding these chicks in the garage that there are no drafts in the brooder. Cold air tends to rush in to meet warm air and this creates a draft which can kill the babies. Temperature fluctuations at night can be deadly. So just be aware of this.

How old are these chicks? Bloody diarrhea of chicks between 2 and 4 weeks of age, can be from coccidiosis. And internal parasite/protozoa that is present in the intestines of all chicks and chickens. As they age they grow immunity to it, but babies of this age have not yet developed this immunity and when they get over whelmed by this parasite thru all the dampness and pooping, they can get sick.

If they are of this age, and you are seeing reddish or really dark poop, runny or even solid, and they are sitting fluffed up not eating or drinking, then it is possible they are suffering from cocci. You would want to start them on Corid. You can get this at the feed store. You would put the proper amount in their water for 5 days.

If these babies are fresh hatchlings, diarrhea can be common. I like to add probiotics to their water to give them a good start on life. Helps to boost the immune system faster and keeps the bad bacteria from taking hold in the intestines. Make sure they are all eating well and if the crumbles are too large, you may need to crush them for a while. Watery diarrhea can be from not eating.

As long as you don't start to see other symptoms of respiratory ailments, mites or weakness in the chicks, then it is probably nothing to worry about. Respiratory ailments would need some antibiotics, weakness in chicks would require a good supplement of vitamins and minerals added to the water.

Good luck with your new babies! Sounds like you have a very nice group of chicks to make a gorgeous flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. chickie farm

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you for your information. They are about a week in a half old. The poop is a runny light brown with no blood in it none of the chicks seem to be in distress at this time. I will get probiotics to see if that will help. Thanks again for the info.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - that's going to be a pretty flock when they grow up.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. chickie farm

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you for the picture site, it was very helpful and will probably go back to it often. Who would of thought a few weeks ago I would be looking at chicken poo pictures on line. :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Glad it helped. OMG, since getting chicks and ducklings I find myself searching the web for some of the strangest things, lol.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by