Hello from Christina in New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cutenmchick, Jan 15, 2013.

1. cutenmchick

cutenmchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    New Mexico
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I am not new to chickens, but I am new to this web site. I'm tickled to have found it.

I started to raise chickens after my son took up the poultry project in 4-H. I hate to date myself, but that was about 15 years ago. I found I really liked raising them. I have had chickens in the past. I wash "chickenless" for about 3 years but found that I missed having them. They're fun to watch and kinda soothing to listen to. Last summer I purchased 16 white leghorns.

I found this web-site because my girls need a new coop. One of the web-sites I found mentioned backyard chickens. I'm so glad they did.

I am a mom of two "young people." They don't like me calling them kids...guess I can understand. I live on a farm but work full time. My husband is a politician here on a very local level. We have been married for what seems like 50 years, but when we do the math I think it comes out to 26 or so[​IMG]...sorry, I just crack myself up. On our place there is horses, way too many of them, cows, goats, and a few chickens. Did I mention we have a lot of horses. My hobby is not horses btw.

Now that my children are grown and almost gone I found that I really like having dogs. I am allergic to them, but like them so much I have three. They are Chihuhuas, Spike, he's an old guy, has seizures, then there's Chioco. He's a sweetie. I call him my "special" boy. Don't know why it is but he doesn't pick up any more than "sit." Lastly, there is Blanca. She is very young and fun. She tries to get the boys to play, but they don't usually appreciate her antics. Whenever my husband even thinks about another horse, I start mentioning how I should get another chihuhua...heehee. Works every time.

I work for the Feds, so yes, all these budget issues our country is having may effect my having a job. If nothing else, I'll sell eggs. So, for now, I am looking at plans to remodel the girl's pad. I read yesterday how a fella made a waterer out of an ice chest. I thought that was so clever. Right now that would be so helpful as we are having the lowest temperatures in New Mexico that I can remember.

(p.s., New Mexico is part of the U.S) [​IMG]

One question I have immediately, maybe it's available somewhere on this site, have not run across it yet...how big should a coop be for 16 girls? Have any of you tried any of the plans on this site, found some that you preferred, or might be a reasonable price to construct?

Any information available would be appreciated.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Christina, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I lived in N. M. as a very young child...don't remember ever thinking the weather was cool - so enjoy it! In terms of coop size - I think it is recommended that bigger is better, but that 2.5 to 3 sq. feet is considered adequate. Best of luck to you and your flock!

3. cutenmchick

cutenmchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, so at 3'/chicken, that's 48sf. Wow!! I think I'll have to move in with the girls! One more question...when they say sf, is that like a box? so up is a consideration as well as the foot on the floor? dunno if this makes sense...

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] sf is square foot (or feet) and by a box I think you mean cubic feet? No, sf just means floor space.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Hi and [​IMG] from Colorado! I got chickens over 1 1/2 years ago, but joined about 6 months ago. Welcome!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Dogs and birds - me too. Welcome to the BYC commun ity.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Actually for standard fowl 4 square feet would be better, and for run space 10 sq ft per bird.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots