Hello from Chuckey, TN, YES like the little Psycho Doll movie...lol

FirstChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Chuckey, TN
This is my first property that I have own, we just got some land and I am in the process of clearing and making my own little self-sufficient use of it.

I have just got some chickens, first time ever. I have read many post on this site, GREAT place by the way.

What I got, Black Australorp, 15 day old. 14 Pullets and 1 Roo, plus one surprise or bonus chick. So that should interesting to see what it is when it grows.

Coop plans, log cabin type with logs from my property. Range, 16'x16' area with plans to make it larger as I get more fencing.

Thanks for reading.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!! So glad you joined! I hope you have fun with your chickens!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised Black Australorps for years and they are my favorite, standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BAs and your plans.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Black Australorps are a really nice breed, you should be very happy with them!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Oh, you will love your Black Australorps! They are love machines! Make sure to get them out of the brooder and onto the living room floor. (put a sheet down because they are poopers!) The first thing they will do is run to your lap. This is GOOD! The lap training begins! Get them out every day and by the time you get them out to the coop, they will have bonded with you like crazy. And when they mature into hens, they will hound you for your lap and love. Mine will not leave me alone for the lovin'! Lap hounds!! Put a 1x2 in the brooder to get them started on roost training. Pretty soon they will be roosting at night on it and when they get to the coop, they will know how to roost.

Enjoy your BA babies and welcome to our flock!

TwoCrows,

Thank you for the advise. None of that is anything I have read. Just shows how important having a forum is for first hand experience with new endeavors!

That is the beauty of BYC. Books can only tell you so much and usually it is one opinion. Here you have access to thousands and thousands of ideas. We are just bursting at the seams with knowledge. Everybody does things differently and what works for one doesn't always work for the other. So having these forums here, you can learn from so many members on what works best for you.

Enjoy your babies and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask! :)

Back
Top Bottom