Hello from coastal Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marbleheather, Jun 29, 2016.

1. marbleheather

marbleheather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Hi, I'm Heather. I am new to raising chickens. We have 6 on a 1/4 acre suburban lot in coastal MA just north of Boston. I plan to post a pic of my current coop setup in the right forum because I could use some advice on how best to make my coop work with my yard and the portable pen my son and I built.

2. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey welcome to BYC. I live on the coast too :D Cya around.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG] Sounds like a nice place! If you'd like to get some ideas of what other people have done with their coops, lots of members have posted photos here. Thanks for joining us!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock.

6. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Welcome to BYC, Heather!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Lynnski

Lynnski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Weymouth, MA
    Hi Heather, I live on the South Shore of Boston with a tiny yard.... How did you make out with your coop?

9. marbleheather

marbleheather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    I managed to move my coop over a little so the temporary run lines up better, but now the chickens are turning the grass run area into a poopy, muddy mess. I feel like I need a backyard chicken mentor!

10. Lynnski

Lynnski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Weymouth, MA
    Oh Boy! I would say having a muddy, poopy mess is one of my top 3 worries being new to raising chickens! Not having much space, i feel i have to get it right. Having a solid roof on the run was needed to keep it dry. There are so many ways suggested here but in the end, we decided that removing all the grass, adding in a layer of organic fill, thin layer of grass clippings and ground tree stump mulch would be most like what we would find in nature. Its pretty easy to clean. I dont know if this will work thru each season, but its where we started.

I was very tempted by the sand idea just for ease of keeping it cleaner, but in the end, thought more natural is where we needed to start.

Did you end up posting pics of the coop design on here? Well, good luck with everything. I would love to hear what works and what doesnt for you if you dont mind. If you like, i can do the same.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by