Feb 7, 2018
Kansas
Hi guys!
Let me introduce myself,
I'm a newly married (June 2017), new to chickens and new to city life detail artist!

I have always wanted chickens since I was little ( and I really wanted a 6foot tall chicken according to my parents) and despite living in the country for most of my life I wasn't ever allowed to get any as my mum was scared of birds! :hit So on a whim after my husband and I got back from our honeymoon I surprised him with two fluffy chicks! Which lead to two more a month later! I'm still new to chickens, but with years of research and stalking these posts I think I have a fairly good start!

I now have (all Bantams as I've read they are quiter and you can fit more in a small space)- a Partridge Cochin hen, a Lavender Orpington hen and a Golden Sebright hen. And I just recently ordered 8 chicks, six of them died before they arrived a day late (4 EEs and 2 silkies) and then a couple days later I lost another silkie out of the shipment, so that left me with my last very strong sole survivor a Grey Silkie who I believe is going to be a pullet!! I couldn't let her be by herself so I picked up four more chicks from the local feed store that I believe three are Easter Egger pullets and one serama pullet. (I'll post pics on the appropriate thread as I'd love to know if these babies are who I think they are!)
....and yes I'm smack dab in the city! We are allowed up to 5 hens without a permit and no roosters. HOWEVER! I'm thinking about smuggling in a splash silkie roo and getting him a collar! ( let me know your opinions about no crow collars guys!)

And then that leads to who else I have!
I have three horses- a 23yr old bay American Quarter Horse gelding, a 12yr old smokey black snowflake/varnish Appaloosa mare and a 7yr old Cremello BLM Mustang.
And last but certainly not least, three dogs- a 8yr old teacup solid chocolate Chihuahua, a 4yr old blue merle Aussiedoodle and our newest to the four legged babies, a 4month old black Lab mixed with maybe a bit of coyote-fox-bunny-cat (she hops instead of runs, she pounces on her toys and when she wags her tail she knocks herself over as she swings it so hard!)

So that's a tiny snippet of myself and our critters!
I'm excited to be a part of this community and to ask questions and to learn! :woot:wee

Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome Cool.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!
Great introduction.

Stay warm!

Hi guys!
Let me introduce myself,
I'm a newly married (June 2017), new to chickens and new to city life detail artist!

I have always wanted chickens since I was little ( and I really wanted a 6foot tall chicken according to my parents) and despite living in the country for most of my life I wasn't ever allowed to get any as my mum was scared of birds! :hit So on a whim after my husband and I got back from our honeymoon I surprised him with two fluffy chicks! Which lead to two more a month later! I'm still new to chickens, but with years of research and stalking these posts I think I have a fairly good start!

I now have (all Bantams as I've read they are quiter and you can fit more in a small space)- a Partridge Cochin hen, a Lavender Orpington hen and a Golden Sebright hen. And I just recently ordered 8 chicks, six of them died before they arrived a day late (4 EEs and 2 silkies) and then a couple days later I lost another silkie out of the shipment, so that left me with my last very strong sole survivor a Grey Silkie who I believe is going to be a pullet!! I couldn't let her be by herself so I picked up four more chicks from the local feed store that I believe three are Easter Egger pullets and one serama pullet. (I'll post pics on the appropriate thread as I'd love to know if these babies are who I think they are!)
....and yes I'm smack dab in the city! We are allowed up to 5 hens without a permit and no roosters. HOWEVER! I'm thinking about smuggling in a splash silkie roo and getting him a collar! ( let me know your opinions about no crow collars guys!)

And then that leads to who else I have!
I have three horses- a 23yr old bay American Quarter Horse gelding, a 12yr old smokey black snowflake/varnish Appaloosa mare and a 7yr old Cremello BLM Mustang.
And last but certainly not least, three dogs- a 8yr old teacup solid chocolate Chihuahua, a 4yr old blue merle Aussiedoodle and our newest to the four legged babies, a 4month old black Lab mixed with maybe a bit of coyote-fox-bunny-cat (she hops instead of runs, she pounces on her toys and when she wags her tail she knocks herself over as she swings it so hard!)

So that's a tiny snippet of myself and our critters!
I'm excited to be a part of this community and to ask questions and to learn! :woot:wee

Great profile Art Welcome to Backyard Chickens are you boarding those horses or do you have allot of land in town? sounds like a great lot of fun

Back
Top Bottom