1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hello from cold Kansas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Art_plus_chickens, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Art_plus_chickens

Art_plus_chickens Songster

Feb 7, 2018
    Kansas
    Hi guys!
    Let me introduce myself,
    I'm a newly married (June 2017), new to chickens and new to city life detail artist!

I have always wanted chickens since I was little ( and I really wanted a 6foot tall chicken according to my parents) and despite living in the country for most of my life I wasn't ever allowed to get any as my mum was scared of birds! :hit So on a whim after my husband and I got back from our honeymoon I surprised him with two fluffy chicks! Which lead to two more a month later! I'm still new to chickens, but with years of research and stalking these posts I think I have a fairly good start!

I now have (all Bantams as I've read they are quiter and you can fit more in a small space)- a Partridge Cochin hen, a Lavender Orpington hen and a Golden Sebright hen. And I just recently ordered 8 chicks, six of them died before they arrived a day late (4 EEs and 2 silkies) and then a couple days later I lost another silkie out of the shipment, so that left me with my last very strong sole survivor a Grey Silkie who I believe is going to be a pullet!! I couldn't let her be by herself so I picked up four more chicks from the local feed store that I believe three are Easter Egger pullets and one serama pullet. (I'll post pics on the appropriate thread as I'd love to know if these babies are who I think they are!)
    ....and yes I'm smack dab in the city! We are allowed up to 5 hens without a permit and no roosters. HOWEVER! I'm thinking about smuggling in a splash silkie roo and getting him a collar! ( let me know your opinions about no crow collars guys!)

And then that leads to who else I have!
    I have three horses- a 23yr old bay American Quarter Horse gelding, a 12yr old smokey black snowflake/varnish Appaloosa mare and a 7yr old Cremello BLM Mustang.
    And last but certainly not least, three dogs- a 8yr old teacup solid chocolate Chihuahua, a 4yr old blue merle Aussiedoodle and our newest to the four legged babies, a 4month old black Lab mixed with maybe a bit of coyote-fox-bunny-cat (she hops instead of runs, she pounces on her toys and when she wags her tail she knocks herself over as she swings it so hard!)

So that's a tiny snippet of myself and our critters!
    I'm excited to be a part of this community and to ask questions and to learn! :woot:wee

Plip, JerryR708, puffypoo22 and 9 others like this.
  2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Welcome to BYC!!!! Yay!!!!
    :welcome
    :frow:wee:frow

Plip, JerryR708, rjohns39 and 6 others like this.
  3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Plip, JerryR708, sourland and 6 others like this.
  4. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Songster

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Great write up! Sorry to hear about the loss of all those chickies.

Plip, JerryR708, rjohns39 and 5 others like this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome Cool.gif
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!
    Great introduction.

Stay warm!

6. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Great profile Art Welcome to Backyard Chickens are you boarding those horses or do you have allot of land in town? sounds like a great lot of fun

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  8. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC from SW MO!

9. Art_plus_chickens

Feb 7, 2018
    Kansas
    Thanks!
    Lol! I'm keeping the fat hippos on my husbands parents land! Though I'd love to sneak my old gelding into our backyard! ...think the hubby would notice? :D

10. Art_plus_chickens

Feb 7, 2018
    Kansas
    Plip, JerryR708, rjohns39 and 3 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: