Hello from Colorado! Brand new to Chickens!

luv2bmomjen

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Colorado
Hi everyone,

So I have never ever spent time with chickens in my lifetime but we decided to take the plunge and get 6 chicks for our three kids two weeks ago. They have been so wonderful so far and they are all sweet as can be. Each one has her own personality and my kids are wonderful with them. My 9 year old daughter grabs one of her chicks everyday after school and takes it up to her room to do homework and snuggle with the chick for an hour. I love how each of the chicks has already "imprinted" on one of us. Yesterday two of them started to fly out of the brooder. I was very surprised by this as they are only two weeks old! I added a photo file to show you my babies.
We have:

Pepper - Barred Rock
Salt - White Orphington
Roadie - Road island red
Denver - Golden Polish
Bronco - Golden Polish
Sky - Aracuna Easter Egger

By the way my husband has already finished their coop and I will say it is "Fancy living" I am painting it this weekend and will post pictures when it's looking pretty!
Here is hoping we don't have any roosters because I can't imagine loosing one of our girls!

images

Welcome to BYC!

You picked out a very nice group of chickens! They will lay some very colorful eggs for your basket. And yes, they can fly quite early in life. At one week they are already jumping out of my brooders.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Thank you for the quick welcome!
I do have a question as I am so new to this. My 6 year old son really wants me to bring a few of the chicks into his class today. He is in a class of about 25 first grade students. It is about 50 degrees outside so I am nervous that they will get cold if they are out of their brooder for an hour. What do you think and how many would you take? I wish I could take them all and they hate to be seperated but again I'm nervous to take them out for so long. Any thoughts? They are about 17 days old and strangly enough a few or them have tons of feathers and are twice the size of the others. They were all hatched the same day.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you really want to take them, can you keep them in a covered box or crate, and maybe something heated like hand warmers or those microwavable discs etc to keep them warmer (careful you don't overheat them also), but if the trip is only for an hour and you are careful I wouldn't worry about it that much if they will mostly be in the warm car or building. I would probably take three of the bigger more feathered ones.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn there! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.
Welcome from Colorado!

Back
Top Bottom