Hello from Concord California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RaniaH, Mar 4, 2013.

1. RaniaH

RaniaH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I'm a new chicken mommy to four gorgeous chickens. 2 of the are a Buff Orpintons-going on 13 weeks old and two or Easter Eggers going on 11 weeks old. The Buff's are Lucy and Ethel and the Easter Eggers are Wilma and Betty.

As I said, I'm a new chicken mommy.. Any tips and tricks you have will greatly appreciated. Right now, they are all on starter feed. I plan on changing it to the lay pellets when Wilma and Betty are 15 weeks old to be consistent. Would that be ok? Any suggestions?

A little about their lifestyle. They are in a "chicken condo" for most of the day (I'm their and only primary care taker) but when I get home from work, I let them roam until they had enough. I will never leave them unattended as there are stray cats and I have seen racoons that travel during they day time in my neighborhood-yes I'm over protective :). I've had them for a little over a week and during the time I've taken the time to observe them and their behavior. For example Lucy she loves her dust baths and and is a little more daring. Ethel, she's more of the leader of the pack, wherever she goes everyone follows. Wilma, she is a follower, but likes to do things on her own as well and not pay attention. She's somewhat free spirited. Betty, well she's the smallest of the bunch, a conversationalist and needs Lucy, Ethel or Wilma with her at all times. For example, I opened the door to their "condo" and she was the first one out. After 10 minutes or so she became antsy, talkative and restless. She tried to fly out of the coop, but since it's enclosed she couldn't. It then struck me that she might be lonely. So I gathered up Ethel (she doesn't mind to be held because I shower her with kisses and she likes it) and took her to Betty. As soon as Betty saw her, she kept quiet and they both started eating.

In the short amount of time, I have grown very fond of them. I try to spend as much time with them as possible as I would like them to get use to me, my presence and being handled by me. If that's the wrong approach please let me know. As I said, I'm new to this.

I'm looking forward in learning from you all.
    Thanks,
    Rania (pronounced like Tania)

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG] from Kentucky (lived in Dublin/Walnut Creek for a while).

Sounds like Lucy, Betty, Ethel and Wilma are very lucky!

You can keep feeding them chick starter or grower until they begin to lay eggs.
    Once they lay eggs, then switch them over to layer crumbles or pellets.
    They do not need the extra calcium in the layer feed before they start laying eggs.

Keep showering your chickens with love; sounds like they are loving it. [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Love the names you gave your girls, I think they are going to like you just fine.

4. RaniaH

Mar 4, 2013
    So I shouldn't change their food until they start laying? When will they start laying? Will the eggs be edible?

5. RaniaH

Mar 4, 2013
    Thank you! I certainly hope they do. I have fallen in love with them,

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY

7. Flock in SF

Flock in SF Out Of The Brooder

Welcome to BYC,

My wife and I recently brought home a bunch of chicks as well! We have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 red stars, and 2 black frizzle bantam cochins. In the last week and a half we have also become very fond of them. We are in San Francisco and I'm in the process of building an ultimate coop and run. Sounds like you'll be a great chicken mama.

1 person likes this.
  8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Wow what lucky little girls to have a momma like you!

Welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Have fun with your new girls and with BYC

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by