Hello from CT!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by andrealeec, Apr 10, 2011.

1. andrealeec

andrealeec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Hello everyone!! I am new to chickens, and will be getting my 6 Rhode Island Red's this week. I am so excited! I have prepared the brooder (large rubbermaid container), with newspaper and shavings, have the feeder and waterer, got my medicated chick starter feed, got my heat lamp and 2 infrared heat bulbs, and a thermometer. And 2 books on raising chickens. I am learning more everyday with all the information on this site! One question though (probably of many that I will have as they start to grow)...I could only find pine/spruce/fir mix. Will that be ok for them because I know cedar is a no-no. Thank you in advance!! -Andrea

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] from CT too! [​IMG]
    I use pine shavings, but don't know about the "mix".. Yes, cedar is a no-no.
    Have fun!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. It should be OK, I wouldn't use the newspaper over the litter, instead use paper towels or old bath towel. Newspaper is too slippery and can cause leg issues. [​IMG]

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Welcome! Congrats on being a new chicken Mom. Here is a link to a very helpful and fun chicken meet up group in Ct.

http://www.meetup.com/Chickens1/

Sounds like your all ready. As far as I know your shaving are ok. I buy the big bag at agway for horses.

5. andrealeec

andrealeec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for the info! I was actually going to use the newspaper under the litter so maybe it will be easier to clean up, but i could just do without it. There is still SO MUCH to learn!

6. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I hatch my own and the first 2 days I have newspaper down and paper towel on top of it. I put little piles of food on the ground for them to scratch and peck at. After they get the idea of eating and drinking I put down shavings over newspaper. When cleaning it is easier to dump out with the newspaper. You will have to figure out what works for you.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps