Hello From Cut-N-Shoot Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kenmlang, Mar 9, 2014.

1. kenmlang

kenmlang Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Cut-N-Shoot,TX
    Hello, I am new to this site. We got bit by the chicken bug about 6 months ago, and are loving every minute of it.

Actually, a family member got us started. She called us one day, and said,"come get your chickens." They were 4 Americaunas. One of them ended up being a rooster. At this time we did not have a coop, so we did a makeshift pen. within 2 weeks we lost 3 birds, including the roo. Coyotes got 2 hens and racoon got the roo. This is when I started researching coop plans, and came upon BYC. That weekend we had a coop built. We acquired 4 more birds, a Barred Plymouth Rock, a Buff Orpington, an Easter Egger, and a Silkie mix. About 2 months ago I built a second coop and went and purchased 5 RIR pullets, and 3 of them have started laying this week. We now have 9 birds all together, as the Silkie mix got sick, and we had to put her down sadly.

All this chicken coop building has started a little side business. In the 6 months we have been involved in this, I have built 4 coops, 1 rabbit hutch, a raised garden enclosure, and a cat enclosure. As you may have guessed, I like to build things, as I am a cabinetmaker.

We have a few other pets as well, a German Shepard, a small terrier mix, and 2 cats. All the animals get along great with the birds, in fact, my German Shepard has become their protector. Sometimes she thinks they want to play, but the girls let her know pretty quick that they don't.

I am proud to be part of the BYC community, and very glad I found the site. My wife and I have learned what we needed to know, and are still learning, thanks to BYC.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. That coop construction just might become a good side line - people are always looking for someone to build them a coop.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. Micah 808

Micah 808 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Houston
    Hello and welcome from Magnolia Tx. ;)

10. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    Hello and welcome, neighbor! I live in Montgomery county, very close to Cut-n-Shoot! I started last October with chickens, and am picking up new babies today. It's an addicting hobby, for sure! We have to have a secure run too; the predator pressure around here is high.

Enjoy your chickens, and all the info here on BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by