Hello from Delaware

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kahi00, Apr 2, 2012.

1. kahi00

kahi00 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware
    Hello from Delaware. We are new to raising chickens, Started end of last April. We started off with 5 hens and a rooster that we got from a local organic chicken farmer (We were told they were a mix of Rhode Island Red and something else we can't remember). The hens have been wonderful, laying 4-5 large brown eggs each day. The rooster was beautiful (although all white) but was so mean we couldn't even go in the pen without it attacking us, so we opted to find it a new home. We have ordered 3 more hens (different kinds) and a rooster. We were hoping to find a rooster that was both beautiful and nice....emphasis on the nice part..lol. We seen a beautiful rooster that my husband says looks like a calico cat, but can't seem to find out what kind it is. The lady at the store we ordered the chicks recommended us to get a red jungle fowl rooster because it is very pretty, but as I've done more research I am getting nervous about it being a little bit more mean than I want. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hoping to eventually raise our own chicks. We absolutely love our chickens and wish we would have done it a lot sooner. Looking forward to using this site to learn more and to meet some people who share our interests.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Good for you! Finding this site is very helpful when you have chickens. [​IMG] from the chicken coop!

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    HI and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I think I would stay away from red jungle fowl for a backyard flock - what about a nice welsummer, speckled sussex, Ameraucana, or one of the more docile breeds? They are often very nice eye candy

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I agree with 1muttsfan. :thumbsup

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. kahi00

kahi00 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware
    Thanks a lot everyone. I was thinking the same thing about the jungle rooster. I looked up the other ones you mentioned and I think the ameraucana is the rooster we keep seeing in a coop down the road....beautiful. Going to call today to see if we can change our order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by